Help needed to select correct arms and fiber optic cables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jboneng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Fantasea FG16 housing and a Archon Z06 tray for my Canon G61 camera, I am planing to buy a couple of Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobes.
I want to add flex arms to my camera reg (like this one or similar). My question is a) is those flex arms easy to attatch to my tray, and if not, is there someone who manufacture/sell flex arms that is? and what kind of fiber optic synch cable is compatible with both my camera housing and the Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobes?

You can either get a new tray with flex arms that are already included such as this package which comes with a fiber optic cable as well included.
Another option would be to use your existing tray and add either ball & joint arms / clamps or a flexarm such as this one that can attach via clamp.
The advantage of a flex arm is that it's very easy to position it without fastening / unfastening clamps. However, clamps have a stronger grip and hold up heavy lights better.
Flex arms do hold up great underwater but sometimes collapse above water which might be an issue for some ppl.

As for fiber optics, any standard Sea & Sea connector cable would work.

You can either get a new tray with flex arms that are already included such as this package which comes with a fiber optic cable as well included.
Another option would be to use your existing tray and add either ball & joint arms / clamps or a flexarm such as this one that can attach via clamp.
The advantage of a flex arm is that it's very easy to position it without fastening / unfastening clamps. However, clamps have a stronger grip and hold up heavy lights better.
Flex arms do hold up great underwater but sometimes collapse above water which might be an issue for some ppl.

As for fiber optics, any standard Sea & Sea connector cable would work.

Thanks, will be ordering a light set/package when my next pay-check ticks in :)

Definitely go with arms and clamps. I used flex arms for years, but you lose a lot of shots when they get bumped out of position and people will harass you over the noise they make. Also, they flop around out of water and you can't use them to hand off the camera as they'll pop off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom