best fins for backfinning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow photographers,
My question is about the skill, which is needed for every photographer - backfinning. I have been practicing it; so far unable to really master it. I understood that the type of fins you use plays the role here. Mine are Mares classic type fins. May be I should get another pair better suitable for backfinning? Do you have suggestions which brand and model is good for backfinning? The important consideration is weight. These cannot be heavy technical dive type fins since I will have to travel with them.
Thank you

For easier back kick the fins should have a wide sidewall as that's the part that moves the water. Fins like scuba pro jets and OMS slipstreams. Jets are very negative while the OMS are neutral. Others that are similar and also neutral are the UTD fins, HOG tech fins. That said, some fins are just harder to back kick than others (I can back kick in force fins).....even without fins....it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it is a hard skill to master. I have used Scuba Pro Jets, Hollis F1s, Aqua Lung Hotshots & Slingshots all with various degree of success on different days. Some days it works for me and some days ... well I keep practicing.

You can kick backwards in just about anything but splits, but a reasonably stiff paddle fin is the easiest to learn in and to use. For neutral fins, the Dive Rite EXPs are great.

For my travel fins I use the hollis F1 they are great at back kicking.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

deco, wide sidewall? If the side of the fine is moving you backwards we have issues chief..... On that though, any relatively stiff fin will get you going backwards, just keep in mind the stiffer they are the harder they are to kick. Dive Rites do a surprisingly good job going backwards, OMS Slipstreams if you can find them used are my favorites, Jet Fins work very well, turtles kind of suck imho too floppy, Hog Tech 2 fins work very well but not enough thrust going forward to get me to wear them often. All personal preference. I think there's a shop in your area called Dan's Dive Shop that should have most of the above in stock actually, see if he'll let you try them in a pool

While the Jetfins and Hollis F1's are normally considered the "go to" fins for reverse kick..and they are good at it....I have found the "Extra Force Fins" ( or the Excellerating force fins) by Bob Evans allow the easiest reverse kick by a wide margin, and with these on, I find I can swim backwards faster than many new divers can swim forward..... In other words, I can be on a wreck or reef dive with a group, can get in front of them, and then shoot the group following me....and stay ahead of them with reverse kicking....with the Extra Force, it is the easiest to stay well ahead, or even to sprint backwards if needed.

If I was drag racing my evil twin with Frog kick, the Jetfins would be a bit faster for frog kick than the Extra force, because the Jets have a significantly bigger blade, that allows a bigger platform to push back on.....to shove yourself forward with. For Flutter kick, or Modified flutter, the Excellerating Force fins are exponentially superior to the tired old technology of what the Jet fins have for flutters....The Extra force allow you to hold a speed close to as high as is possible with big freedive fins, without trashing your quads....When you want to go slow with them, they are amazingly precise.

excelforce282_blk.jpg

[video=youtube_share;kWrlXJ_EL_k]http://youtu.be/kWrlXJ_EL_k[/video]
My good friend Errol demonstrating reverse kicks etc, for photography.

I have OMS Slipstream, SP Jetfins, and Dive Rite EXP - all three work great for this, if you do it correctly. It's pretty easy once you figure it out, but teaching someone to do it is not easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom