Sale Alert! 512MB CompactFlash at Amazon for $70, free shipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3:
Amazon is having another sale/rebate on their Viking 512MB CompactFlash cards. $69.99 after mail in rebate, free shipping too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...93519?creative=125581&camp=2321&link_code=as1

Thanks for the heads up... :bounce: been looking for a deal on memory to go with the $399 I paid for my "almost new" Oly5050Z I got from KEH last month. These are strictly for topside pics (for now) but the tips from this forum led me to the Oly5050, KEH and now a great price on memory.

Thanks all

Ugh, a lot of the savings ($30) are in mail-in rebates. I HATE mail-in rebates!!

Thanks, Bob. I've been waiting for one of those specials.

I got my Viking via Amazon last December and can highly recommend it. Mailed in the rebate and got my money back about 7-8 weeks later (they informed me via email that they received the paperwork).

I just got a 2nd 512 from Ridata (52x read/48write) and can't really say that it is any faster than the Viking.

As long as we are talking about sales. Last Sunday I went to Costco and got a 2100mAh Ni-MH panasonic battery set (6AA and 2AAA, with charger) for 12.95. The batteries lasted for 4 dives and I took about 130 pictures using the internal flash.

justleesa,

In ballpark figures, how fast does the Viking card write a SHQ file, a TIFF file and a RAW file to your camera? Do you know what speed rating it has? It would be interesting if you or others could do a comparison of the Viking v. the Ridata to see if the 48X/52X write/read speeds are worth the extra money. Thanks.

The Viking write speed is quoted at 1.2 Mb/s - Burst

The Sandisk Ultra II provides 9 Mb/s - Sustained

This is way too big a difference to ignore.

marpacifica:
justleesa,

In ballpark figures, how fast does the Viking card write a SHQ file, a TIFF file and a RAW file to your camera? Do you know what speed rating it has? It would be interesting if you or others could do a comparison of the Viking v. the Ridata to see if the 48X/52X write/read speeds are worth the extra money. Thanks.

marpacifica:
justleesa,

Aloha marpacifica,

I take pictures in SHG...when I get back from work I'll put a watch to it and let you know the difference.

Aloha,
Lisa

I got my 512 Viking CF card today...139 SHQ shots - Sweet~! I'm used to those that arrive in blister packs. This thing was nestled in it's own foam lined box! Following instructions, I registered the warranty and sent in the $30 rebate.

If anyone else is interested, this offer is good through the 24th.

If you want to review comprehensive (and I mean comprehensive!) test data on CompactFlash card write speeds, check out http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007.

Despite the major differences in write speed between brands, I don't think the typical user will really notice all that much of a difference. If you were writing 5 megapixel TIFFs you might see the difference, but for JPEGs, the files are usually small enough so that write speed doesn't make a huge difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom