is the PADI course worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Bought a new camera system (my second setup) and heading to Bonaire in a month. Olympus TD3 with sea and sea strobe. Some friends will be taking the PADI photo class ($200). Is it worth the money? Optical Oceans, where I purchased the system from, was not impressed with the class. They stated I could learn what they taught by reading this board and most importantly learning my camera before going. Thoughts? Thanks Bill

Mine was. Bill Hall from Calgary teaches an excellent photography class. He is an excellent U/W photographer

Yup, you can learn from online sources as well, or other photographers you know.

Not only does a "class" depend on the Instructor, it also depends on the student's learning style.

Optical Oceans provided quite the generalization with that blanket condemnation.

If you feel the need to take a PADI photo class while on Bonaire - Fish Eye Photo

Just buy The Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge, covers all the basics and the advance stuff.

Then it's just putting the theory into practice.

I don't teach an underwater photo class because I am not passionate about it and could not offer a class I would want to take. I refer students who are interested to a handful of underwater photographers for a class. Most don't offer a cert card. Most are not even scuba instructors. They don't need to be. What they do offer is decades of experience and the ability to make a living or decent side income with their work. They are published and known around the world in some circles.

Reactions: RJP
The best course for any aspiring UW photographer is a good Peak Performance Buoyancy class. If you can't hover motionless in the water column - controlling your position in all planes - leave the camera on land.

I agree with the point of the buoyancy, but also being able to make "stealth" movements via frog kicks. I'm trying to take such a class with NWGratefulDiver, as he's already given me tips to improve my trim (which I have implemented). A C-card isn't important, but having the ability to go backwards and forwards, being still in the water, understanding how to configure your strobes for different subjects is.

I took a class from Cathy Church when I was on Grand Cayman. I learned a lot. No Card but well worth the effort and money. I have to say that as usual it all depends on the instructor. The card wouldn't mean much, if anything, to me.

I think taking a class from a good UW photographer who was also a good instructor could be very helpful. May do it myself some day. Taking the generic PADI class maybe not. I was talking to my local PADI LDS which has it on their list. They told me that for me personally it would be a waste of time. It covered the course requirements but was not geared toward folks who had any experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom