I want to upgrade my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricM.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a couple of point and shoot underwater cameras, a small fuji, and a canon with a really good UW housing, but it is an older model with slow shutter response. I want to upgrade to a better digital SLR. I want more MP's and a faster shutter response than either of my current cameras are capable of. I have about $500 to spend and need suggestions, I am not opposed to point and shoot, but am really wanting to go more towards a good SLR to use topside as well. I have already combed ebay, and found some deals, but don't want to go blindly buying camera rigs by trial and error. (did that already) I am thtinking along the lines of a canon d60d.
Soooo.. suggestions please.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, $500 isn't going to help you a whole lot here. If you want good pictures you need light and that means you need a strobe and that means $s.

I would not look for a dSLR but look for a mirror-less "ILC" (interchangeable lens camera). I am very partial to the Olympus micro 4/3s cameras and housings as being some of the best values. The first model, E-PL1 can be purchased on eBay at a very nice price and there are a couple of housings for sale. If I were you, I'd go ahead and bid on a housing and camera and/or bid on the one housing/camera package I saw.

What Peter said, 5 bills won't really get you much. I have an old d-70 rig with an ikelite housing that I'd let go for about 800 and that doesn't even do video (not for sale, backup for my backup). Unfortunately if you want to bring a camera underwater the housing is the killer.
Again gotta agree with Peter, m 4/3 is a really good way to go. I've never used the Olympus but have a Panasonic GH2 and it takes fantastic video/pictures. With the f/2.8 lens I have on it low light isn't much of an issue.

We don't have really anything in that price range. An Olympus TG-3 camera and housing is $649. It is a very nice camera, responsive and takes very good photos underwater. It is their "tough" model, waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, etc. Has a fast and sharp lens. We also have it with the Sea & Sea YS-03 strobe package for $949.

We do have a great deal on the Olympus OM-D EM-5 Underwater Bundle which will shoot as well as the Canon 60D you mention, and is lighter and smaller. The bundle of camera, housing, port and gear is just $1299; a savings of $1500.

You'll need to also think about adding lighting, which is as important, or more, than the camera.

For more information, check out our FREE Handbooks. They contain a wealth of information about buying and using cameras lighting and getting great photos underwater.

This is an issue of you get what you pay for Eric. If you want something new you could go for the $180.00 retail Nauticam housing for I-phone 4,5,6 (includes a FREE app store download to operate and includes a dive log book, worth the download even if you only use the dive log book) or you could go with that great brand name, Nikon and get the interchangeable lens 1 J1 with the 10-30 zoom lens and the Nikon housing for that camera, now under $500.00. I don't know of anyone who has used this combo but it is out there.

I think Jacks idea of the excellent Olympus E-M5 package makes a lot more sense and will be a better value in the long run.

If you want a DSLR the Ikelite ESO Rebel SL1, AKA D100 package for around $1650.00, camera, 18-55 zoom lens, zoom gear and housing is a great deal in a small package. You can see my review in a past issue of uwpmag.com.

Fantasea also has some value packed housing and camera packages, you can see my review on the Fantasea housing and Sony RX100 III in the current issue of uwpmag.com a FREE PDF download or in the Sony section of this site.

I want to thank everyone who has commented thus far. I will hold off on getting a camera package for a bit, now that I have been pointed in the right direction. I will need to reseaarch the different cameras suggested and see which one I mesh with best.

Which compact Canon do you have, and which housing? Do you have a strobe? If you want better image quality and only have $500 to spend, your best bet is to buy a strobe (or 2) and learn how to shoot in manual mode. It's easy! Just put your shutter speed to 1/200 or faster, medium aperture, low ISO, control your exposure with strobe power, and you are on your way!

You can get the fanciest SLR you want, but unless you have a strobe or 2 and know how to shoot in manual mode, your pictures won't look good because there will be too much ambient light in the shot.

Which compact Canon do you have, and which housing? Do you have a strobe? If you want better image quality and only have $500 to spend, your best bet is to buy a strobe (or 2) and learn how to shoot in manual mode. It's easy! Just put your shutter speed to 1/200 or faster, medium aperture, low ISO, control your exposure with strobe power, and you are on your way!

You can get the fanciest SLR you want, but unless you have a strobe or 2 and know how to shoot in manual mode, your pictures won't look good because there will be too much ambient light in the shot.

Sounds about like I did back in the old days when I shot wildlife with a Canon A-1 program, I never did like the program mode, and shot manual most of the time. I fell on a good deal with an older Canon D60, with a UK-Germany housing. I think the housing uses the Nikonos type sync cord, I'll know for sure when it is delivered. I'll be looking for strobes then. So any suggestions as to brand and type will be appreciated. I like screwing around with the old tech so older models are cool with me.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2015 at 12:51 AM ----------

I fell on a good deal with an older Canon D60, with a UK-Germany housing. I think the housing uses the Nikonos type sync cord, I'll know for sure when it is delivered. I'll be looking for strobes then. So any suggestions as to brand and type will be appreciated. I like screwing around with the old tech so older models are cool with me.

Back to the drawing board. The seller refunded my money, said the camera wasn't working. So I am back to researching mirrorless digital platforms, and housings. I could just go out and buy a new package, but looking for a good deal is half the fun.

OK I have a chance to get a sealife DC600 with housing, strobe, and all the trimmings for a really decent price. I know it is older tech, but I am thinking that with modern photo editing software 6.1 MP might be good enough. Pro's/Cons?

old is okay, but you still need to pick the right "old".

check things like shutter lag, RAW support, onboard flash control and white balance controls, ability to shoot in manual, macro versus wide angle support. depending upon what types of pictures you want, you may find the camera lacking.

it makes sense to work up a list of must have features and then select the camera. instead of selecting the camera and then finding out if it is right for you.

i started with a S&S DX1G some years ago and THEN learned what features I needed. I got lucky as it had everything i wanted. i recently upgraded because I wanted to have better super macro support and ended up choosing a Canon G16. There were other candidates but the G16 won because it has a hotshoe (wired sync support) and a long zoom lens that will work with my wet diopter (subsee +10).

P.S. maybe I could make you a deal on my old DX1G? I have plans to ebay it, but have just not gotten around to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom