Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: adding 2nd strobe

ScubaBoard Supporter

Has not set a "status"

Photos

adding 2nd strobe

I am looking to add a 2nd strobe to my new camera (D70, Sea and Sea housing). I already have one Ikelite DS125.
    Should I just add another DS125 or should I consider the Ikelite 200 and use the DS125 as a fill in?
    The only reason I am thinking of the 200 is that while I shoot lots of macro, I am going to be shooting at F22 or smaller aparture to achieve decent depth of field so I am wondering if the extra power of the 200 might be more useful?
    Nikon D2X, Subal Housing,dual Ikelite DS125, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm macro and 70-180mm macro
    my website

ike
    Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

I would stay with DS125 which has the latest digital circuitry and operates with the Manual Controller. The 200 is about 1/2 f/stop brighter, but will not be able to do the new DTTL and ITTL when (and if) we decipher this Nikon protocol............

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ssra30
    I am looking to add a 2nd strobe to my new camera (D70, Sea and Sea housing). I already have one Ikelite DS125.
    Should I just add another DS125 or should I consider the Ikelite 200 and use the DS125 as a fill in?
    The only reason I am thinking of the 200 is that while I shoot lots of macro, I am going to be shooting at F22 or smaller aparture to achieve decent depth of field so I am wondering if the extra power of the 200 might be more useful?
    I use dual SS200's with my film Nikon N90s shooting strictly Provia. In a true "Macro" focus situation the actual f stop on either the 60mm or 105mm is 1 stop tighter (f-22 on the lens barrel is really shooting at f-32, f32=f45). Check your guide #'s of your strobe. If ALL you do is shoot macro than a second DS125 will be perfect . If you decide to try some WA shots however the 200 will give you a lot more reach. The 200's are reallyyyy huge beasts, however by the time you've housed an slr/dslr, what the heck is another few lbs.on the boat, UW they don't weigh a thing.
    "Eye Awl Weighs Ewes a Spill Chequer" !

ScubaBoard Supporter

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Hmm, I shoot mostly macro but I am also getting the 12-24mm lens so I am planning on doing some WA shots here and there. I definitely don't want to carry 3-4 strobes and hope to use 2 for both macro and WA (if possible). I do like the idea of using manual controller with DS125 to give me a bit more control over the strobe and wonder if the 200 might be a bit too powerful for macro or supermacro.
    With OlyC5050 at F8, ISO64 and 1/8 power on the DS125, I sometimes already find the strobe a bit too powerful and have to keep moving the strobe back (with diffuser installed). Now with minimum of ISO200 on D70 and F22,F32 etc, I wonder if I will run into the same problem I had with DS125/C5050. I guess I should try to find Ike's table on the guide number and distance/exposure thingy again. It is probably somewhere in my messy desk at home.
    Nikon D2X, Subal Housing,dual Ikelite DS125, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm macro and 70-180mm macro
    my website