Backscatter Macromate Mini Lens for GoPro: Considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyceschur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Chicago (but also NY and the Middle East)
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently returned from several weeks worth of scuba and first time usage of GoPro/Backscatter's Macromate Mini Lens.

I was able to obtain some fairly impressive results, especially when combined with a simple editor (I used Android's Photo Editor Pro app on a Samsung Tablet). Overall, I was pleased with the results.

There were, however, several considerations and pieces of information that only became obvious in hindsight. For those of you considering macro photos/videos with a GoPro and Backscatter's Macromate Mini Lens, especially if you have limited underwater photography experience, here's some FYIs:

1) The Backscatter Macromate Mini Lens requires the Backscatter Flip 3.1 Adapter AND the Flip 3.1 55mm threaded lens adapter.

2) The SQUARE shaped Flip 3.1 underwater filters will NOT work as a "stack" with the Macromate Mini Lens, so there are one of two choices.

3) Choice #1: Use Backscatter's 55mm threaded underwater correction filters to screw into (or "stack") the Macromate Mini Lens. There are various 55 mm UW filter options depending on the results you want to achieve and/or the depth you want to photograph/video at.

4) Choice #2: Use any underwater set up for the GoPro that includes a light source (this removes the necessity of a corrective filter).

5) Focusing issues: Because the GoPro does not auto focus, YOU must position your macro lens within approximately 3" of the object you wish to photograph/video. This requires outstanding buoyancy control and negligible current.

6) Lighting issues: Because the GoPro doesn't attach to your light source, there's no ability to "flash". YOU must manually turn your light source on/off and/or attenuate. It is quite difficult to get within 3" of a macro-critter with a light source that's already on.

7) Safety issues: Because the GoPro/Macromate Mini Lens setup requires so much attention to manual manipulation of focus and lighting, it's a poor choice for inexperienced divers or diver's with inexperienced buddies who need to attend to dive-safe practices.

8) Settings: It's important to understand the various setting options on the GoPro and which ones are optimal for macro. I obtained the best results with a normal angle, as opposed to wide. For photos, I selected the continuous shooting option with a shooting speed of 3 frames/second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom