Need advice for viewing the LCD screen in shallow water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mary915

Registered
Reaction score
During a recent snorkeling trip I used my Canon A40 with its underwater housing to take pictures of some beautiful coral and fish at the Dry Tortugas. This was the first time using the camera underwater and I could not see what I was shooting at. The LCD screen was completely dark and I ended up taking pictures by aiming in the general direction. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did end up with some nice pictures, and will post them as soon as I figure out how. :06:

Olympus offers a viewing hood for their housings. Might want to check if canon does too.
Aloha,
Lisa

Completely dark? Are you sure you had the screen turned on? usually if you can't see it because of bright ambient light, the screen has the picture on it, it's just hard to see because of glare or too much light shining on it.

The hoods on the outside help but it small frame around the scren on the inside of the housing is a big part of the Oly's hood system.

i know my Canon SD-100 has an option for "screen off." might you have inadvertently
set it on this option?

also, did you try to shield the viewer from the sun to see if there WAS a picture, just
hard to see b/c of glare?

good to hear you got some good pics anyway. bring them on!

Dee:
Completely dark? Are you sure you had the screen turned on? usually if you can't see it because of bright ambient light, the screen has the picture on it, it's just hard to see because of glare or too much light shining on it.

I'm sure the screen was on because at times I could see some movement, but not enough to aim at an object. I'm thinking it might be because of sun glare. In the dark, outside the water, the LCD screen shows up well. Maybe in deeper water the screen might show up better

As Lisa said, you can buy the hood replacements for the Oly PT-15 housing but you'd have to figure out a way to attach it. I've never seen one one the Canon housings.

Dee:
As Lisa said, you can buy the hood replacements for the Oly PT-15 housing but you'd have to figure out a way to attach it. I've never seen one one the Canon housings.

As far as I know the canon housings do not have a hood. I'm going to try it in deeper water b/c I'm thinking that maybe the sun was too bright in shallow water. Thanks all for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom