Manual White Balance on C4040

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone step me through this? The manual is kind of vague on it.

I'm headed for the Bahamas on Blackbeard's Saturday and would like to start using the manual calibration off a dive slate (those photos seem to come out better around here).

Can everyone give me a quickie lesson?

Muchos gracias.

I'm pretty sure it works just like the C-5050. Do this....

Press OK (menu)

press down arrow to choose WB
scroll up or down to choose the button with the square with little triangles under it.

Press right arrow.

You should be in the WB screen. Aim the camera at your slate or a sunny patch of light sand. Make sure most of your monitor screen is filled.

Press OK to calibrate the WB.

Press OK twice more to get out of the menu.

Remember to calibrate often, especially when ambient light changes or you change depths by 10 ft. or more. If you decide later to use the flash or a strobe, change WB to AUTO or your photos will be too red.

lol leesa, I knew someone would jump on that.

Thanks Dee, that was it. They really need to have normal people write their manuals, it would work out a lot better.

Yeah...sometimes it seems like those bozo authors have only seen pictures of the camera they're writing about!

In addition to calibrating your white balance you may want to edit the "shortcut" feature on your 4040 to include White Balance so as to easily be able to toggle back and forth from Manual to Auto WB.
The CD ROM that came with the camera has all that info.
It was on page 148 of my CD ROM for the C4000.

manual148.jpg

Gilligan, the auto WB is for when using the flash, right?

Aggie Diver:
Gilligan, the auto WB is for when using the flash, right?

not Gilligan but NO! Never use the WB with internal flash or external strobe. With manual WB, the cameras calculate and adds the right amount of red into the picture automatically. If you use any additional light, which is essentially poviding the ed, yours pics will turn out too red.

Manual WB is used IN PLACE of the flash.

Dee:
not Gilligan but NO! Never use the WB with internal flash or external strobe. With manual WB, the cameras calculate and adds the right amount of red into the picture automatically. If you use any additional light, which is essentially poviding the ed, yours pics will turn out too red.

Manual WB is used IN PLACE of the flash.
Actually, the C5050, and I would imagine the C4040, are very smart cameras. If you do a manual white balance with the camera's flash turned on (or an external strobe slaved to it) it'll fire the flash and calculate the WB accordingly. So if you are using artificial light when white balancing your pictures will still turn out correct. To re-phrase: it is un-necessary to do a manual WB when using the camera's flash or external strobe underwater.

I've never tried it with the strobe on. I should have been more clear. If you calibrate without the strobe then use the strobe later without changing the WB back to auto, your pics will be too red.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom