Need help with photoshop CS color problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I have no idea what I did since I never had this problem before but lately I noticed that when I edit the picture in PS then save it as JPEG, when I view the same file in PS and in another program or when I post the picture on the web, the color looks quite different. I assumed that it is something to do with color profile setting on PS but when I tried to change to profile from Adobe RGB to other profiles, it still make no different. This is getting rather frustrating and hopefully someone who know PS better than I do can help me out.

Thanks

I don't have photoshop CS but is it possible that there are some export options when you save it as a JPEG? Maybe there is a color setting or something in there. What about other file type like BMP? Do the colors appear off again?

It does not matter what file format I am saving the picture as. Actually, when I look at the preview for save for the web option, I can already see that the color is generally more faded. However, if I save and reopen the file in PS, it looks ok again but only if I view with PS.

Does it do it when you resave in a "lossless" format, i.e., PSD? If not, it's a compression problem.

I've noticed similar changes with certain pics with vibrant blue backgrounds when saving as jpegs

Chris

ChrisM:
Does it do it when you resave in a "lossless" format, i.e., PSD? If not, it's a compression problem.

I've noticed similar changes with certain pics with vibrant blue backgrounds when saving as jpegs

Chris

I don't think it is a problem with compression. If I open the same JPEG file in PS, it looks fine. Only when viewing the file via other program do the color changes occur. I assume that it must be some setting I have in PS that causes the problem but beside color profile, I can't think of anything else.

ssra30:
I don't think it is a problem with compression. If I open the same JPEG file in PS, it looks fine. Only when viewing the file via other program do the color changes occur. I assume that it must be some setting I have in PS that causes the problem but beside color profile, I can't think of anything else.

Try going into the colour settings and changing it to your current moniter preset. With the same profiles you should be getting the same results.

Have you checked on any other computer?

lukeROB:
Try going into the colour settings and changing it to your current moniter preset. With the same profiles you should be getting the same results.

Have you checked on any other computer?

I will check the monitor profile at home tonight.
Looking at the picture on a different computer gave me the more faded color version just like when I am viewing the picture with other programs on my computer.
Basically I get the more saturated picture when I look at it in PS but when looking on the same computer with a different program, or looking at the picture on another computer, I get the less saturated and brighter version. In PS, I also see the less saturated and brighter picture in the save for the web preview.

Did you have any luck?

I agree with Lukerob, it seems like a colour space variation. Just check that the colour space used by PS is the same as the one that windows is using.....

Thanks for the help. After making sure that the color profile on my monitor and PS matched each other now I don't have the problem anymore.

ssra30:
Thanks for the help. After making sure that the color profile on my monitor and PS matched each other now I don't have the problem anymore.

Yes, but everyone else will.

The problem is that you are editing photos specifically for your monitor. When other people look at a photo edited for your monitor profile they will see something different because they're not using your monitor to view it.

For your PS working space you should use a generic profile like sRGB or Adobe RGB. The image you see in PS will look correct because PS will use your monitor profile to translate it to your screen. When anyone else views the image in PS it will be translated to their monitor profile and hopefully you will both end up seeing close to identical images.

This works because PS is a color-managing application. It knows what to do with color profiles. Most image-viewing applications (including web browsers) don't. An image SHOULD look different when viewed in a color-ignorant application. That's why web browsers shouldn't be used to view images -- they don't do it right.

Back
Top Bottom