Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Photography without a Photo buddy

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

Night Photography without a Photo buddy

Anyone here have a setup for their housing to mount a wide-angle torch for night dive photography? Need a few suggestions after a frustrating session of fumbling with the housing in one hand and a torchlight in another.
    :overload:
    Tim [IMG] Way way too dry.......

Neither here nor there
    Go Red - Support SB!

- Senior Mod

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Well, when guests have gone with us on night dives I have seen lights velcro-ed to the camera set up.

http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/Engli...gitalindex.htm

As far as my camera goes, I have the D-180 and it has the option to leave the strobe on....Don't know how long the batteries would last as strobe is fairly new and I haven't done a night dive in a long time.

ScubaBoard Supporter

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Depending on your strobe. Similar to the Inon D-180, IKelite DS 125 has a built in modeling light which is bright enough to use as the primary light source for night dive.
    If your strobe does not have one then it is probably best to get something to mount a flashlight right on your strobe. This way, you will know if your strobe is aiming properly at the subject as well. If you don't have a strobe then mounting a flashlight on the housing is probably the easiest.
    Nikon D2X, Subal Housing,dual Ikelite DS125, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm macro and 70-180mm macro
    my website

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    "Night Photography without a Photo buddy"

Just the thought of doing it makes me go weak at the knees :11:
    Fuji S2 Pro in Aquatica S2 Housing
    8" Dome port & Macro Port
    Dual Ike DS125's on ULCS Arms
    Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye, 12-24mm Wide angle,
    18-70mm, 70-180mm Macro & 105mm Macro

Homepage

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    tell me about it! gave up after 1 dive. I have the Inon D-180 but the light beam is too narrow for an effective shot. I am trying to mount some sort of torch on the housing but so far with no success. Does any one know if there is a housing frame maker with a clamp arm to hold a torch?

Dee
    ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I use a Princeton Tec headlight. It's very confortable and the head adjusts angles up and down so I don't blind my buddy if/when I look at him. It frees my hands to hold and use the camera and I can still see everything I look at. It's part of my night diving gear, can't imagine one without it anymore.

Click ---->HERE. Mine is about 8 years old but this is the newer version of the one I have.
    Roatan / CoCo View May 10-24, 2014... Come join us!

ScubaBoard Supporter

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Dee, ever since a friend of mine told me a story about how a barracuda got curious and decided to charge my friend's flashlight, I have been very paranoid about attaching any kind of light to my body,let alone my head. :11:
    Of course now with my new camera gear, I think I would rather have a barracuda taking interest in my head than my camera
    Anyhow, Wolverrine, what kind of tray/arm combination do you use. Some amrs such as ULCS or Sea and Sea has a little gadget for you to attach a small flashlight to the arm.
    I can't remember which brand but it may be Sea and Sea who makes a rubber strape that go around a strobe that will let you mount a small flash light as well.
    If you get your underwater photography gear locally, they should be able to help you with mounting a flashlight either on the housing, the strobe or the arm.
    Nikon D2X, Subal Housing,dual Ikelite DS125, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm macro and 70-180mm macro
    my website

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I am using a fisheye tray with inon arms. Guess a sea&sea may fit. I guess only way to go about it is to go to the shops to have a look. I have used mask torch (torch strapped to the mask) before but need something with greater light output. Let me go look for a solution here. Maybe I will strap a light to the bottom of the tray.

Kim
    Here for my friends.....

Thinks Rambo is a twat.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ssra30
    Dee, ever since a friend of mine told me a story about how a barracuda got curious and decided to charge my friend's flashlight, I have been very paranoid about attaching any kind of light to my body,let alone my head. :11:
    Of course now with my new camera gear, I think I would rather have a barracuda taking interest in my head than my camera
    Anyhow, Wolverrine, what kind of tray/arm combination do you use. Some amrs such as ULCS or Sea and Sea has a little gadget for you to attach a small flashlight to the arm.
    I can't remember which brand but it may be Sea and Sea who makes a rubber strape that go around a strobe that will let you mount a small flash light as well.
    If you get your underwater photography gear locally, they should be able to help you with mounting a flashlight either on the housing, the strobe or the arm.
    I was on a night dive in Malaysia where a triggerfish also attacked someones light - probably not as scary as a barracuda but Titans have got teeth big enough to scare me!
    ............Kim.

At the end of the day we are all going home.

There is nowhere else to go.

ScubaBoard Contributor

Has not set a "status"

Titan triggers

Quote Originally Posted by KimLeece
    I was on a night dive in Malaysia where a triggerfish also attacked someones light - probably not as scary as a barracuda but Titans have got teeth big enough to scare me!
    Titan Triggerfish are BAAAAAD! They're more scary than Barracudas for sure, especially during their nesting period. I've had them attack my fins and strobes.
    Olympus C5050, PT-015, PWC-01 WAL, PCU-01 Macro;
    Dual Ikelite DS125, TTL & Manual controller;
    Ultralight arms, Fisheye tray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast