Is silicone in tubes different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is probably a really stupid question, but I need to know. Is the silicone you buy in tubes specifically for camera o-rings different from the silicone you buy in tiny round containers? Are they interchangeable?

Warning - this reply is not based in facat or knowledge. Just a reasonable guess based on my experience, reading, and general knowledge.

The silicone itself is probably not, but the solution (what makes it more or less viscous) probably is. My guess is that what we call silicone is in fact "formula" silicone - or "grease". If you are interested in maximum life, service, and properties of orings (which are not silicone), then you'll want to use the proper "grease". Otherwise, make your own guess and hope there is no bad or ill results. I wouldn't but some will go this route. If you care, or have much at risk, I'd not tempt fate. Use the manufactures recommmended "grease".

nkw5:
This is probably a really stupid question, but I need to know. Is the silicone you buy in tubes specifically for camera o-rings different from the silicone you buy in tiny round containers? Are they interchangeable?
From a past failure, I have found that there are two types of O-ring silicone.
The stuff in the tubes, and round containers, is usually for Harder black o-rings, like Nikonos camera, or flashlight rings.
The stuff for the soft o-rings, Like late model Sea and Sea cameras, or Olympus housings, is the stuff from the manufacturer.
The silicone for the hard o-rings, will make the soft o-rings swell, and cause a flood.
At least thats the way it happened to me.
Aloha Turtleguy

nkw5:

Hi nkw5--not a stupid question at all. Silicone is not all the same, and using some silicone greases on certain o-rings can have bad effects. For example, grease distributed by Nikon for their Nikonos cameras will swell the softer o-rings on Ikelite gear to the point that flooding may occur. Since it's impossible to tell one grease from another by simply looking at them, I always use the grease supplied by each manufacturer on their o-rings. -Clay

Turtleguy:
From a past failure, I have found that there are two types of O-ring silicone.
The stuff in the tubes, and round containers, is usually for Harder black o-rings, like Nikonos camera, or flashlight rings.
The stuff for the soft o-rings, Like late model Sea and Sea cameras, or Olympus housings, is the stuff from the manufacturer.
The silicone for the hard o-rings, will make the soft o-rings swell, and cause a flood.
At least thats the way it happened to me.
Aloha Turtleguy
What Turtleguy said :D it happend to me too....

Thanks for sharing! I think you guys saved me from a camera flood.

Gilligan (Jim Spears), told me while we were in Maui, that the silicon grease that comes with your housing is not silicon grease, it is grease for silicon o-rings (a translation thing). From what he said, he researched this fairly extensively. He used standard silicon grease and his o-ring stretched such that it was too big to use in the housing. It turns out that standard silicon grease will break down the silicon in the o-ring causing it to enlarge. Use the tube and if you run out, buy more. Expensive it is, but worth it in the long run.

I use either the grease supplied by Oly with my housing or the blue-capped grease from Sea&Sea since I have dozens of those tubes. My PT-10 was used over 2 years and I only recently changed the O-ring, only because it has been over 2 years and I mistakenly left it stored in the locked housing for a few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom