video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsdiver03

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of underwater video. Any advice on a good camera to buy and housing?

Research. Do a search here, on wetpixel and digitaldiver.net. I think the P330 is a favourite at the moment.

Decide on your budget and stick with it. There will always be new and improved stuff out there, so decide what features are essential and start shopping.

Make sure there is a housing available for the camera you want.

If you are just getting started, check out a second-hand or older model unit. The difference in quality is likely to be very small (probably not noticeable unless you are shooting professionaly) and the initial outlay of cash should be significantly less - think of it as money for the first diving holiday with your new rig!

dsdiver03:
I'm new to the world of underwater video. Any advice on a good camera to buy and housing?

DSDiver. There are many things to consider when making such an investment. First off, I would consider your budget as that will be the ultimate decision maker. However, I always tell people to think long and hard about what their goals are. Remember it is cheaper to do it right the first time, rather than regret not buying a better system once you really get into it and then having to upgrade into a new system.

Do you want a system that will grow with your experience? What are your intentions with your videos? Do you want a camera that also takes failry decent still photos? Are you going to get it with lights (highly recommended). IMO, Light and Motion and Gates are the best two options. If you prefer manual controls, go with Gates. If you prefer Electronics, go with Light and Motion.

Best of luck and feel free to email me with any questions.

H2OPhotoPro:
Remember it is cheaper to do it right the first time, rather than regret not buying a better system once you really get into it and then having to upgrade into a new system.

This is true, but it assumes the person "really gets into it".

For the average diver, I don't agree with buying top equipment for their 1st purchase. Especially if they don't already have a camcorder and powerful computer.

To efficiently edit your videos you will need a decently powerful computer. Figure $1,500.

If you don't already own a camcorder, that's $800 for a low end camcorder, $1,500 or more for a top end camcorder.

Housings, $800 on the low end, $1500 for mid, $2800 for a top.

Lights, $ 450 low, over $2000 high.

Everyone has an opinion.

Mine is: Forget lights for now. If you are unsure how commited you will be to this expensive hobby, look at getting a used camcorder/housing package. You should be able to find a decent single chip camcorder/housing package for around $1,500.

If you know you will like the hobby look for a 3 chip camcorder like the Sony 900 or 950 and a good housing by Gates, USVH, Amphibico or Light & Motion.

Back
Top Bottom