Will dive magazines accept digital images?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to underwater photography and have yet to cross the digital divide. The above water magazines I work with are still reluctant to take digital images. Is that true for dive magazines as well?

I think Fathoms does. They just had an article in a recent issue about photographers who are shooting digital, some of whom do work for them.

I do all my magazine work with digital. ON rare occassion they want slides but if they really want the images then they will have to suffice with dig. Most magazines are this way now.
Most stock agents deal with digital almost exclusively now too.

Hi

All my work above water is on digital but underwater i'm still using slides. I always as a rule scan all the work and only send digital images to the magazines. No complains now but at the beginning it was not easy. Now everybody acept digital files at least here in Portugal

The magazines (u/w and above water) I've submitted to all have asked for the largest/least compressed digital files I had, all on CD or uploaded directly to a databank. TIFF or raw files are the best to send, but you may be able to get away with a .jpg if it's at least a 6 megapixel camera. .jpg files are good blown up to only a half magazine page so if you would like something published larger than that you'll have to stick with TIFF or raw formats.

Thanks Curt.
May I ask if you'd rather receive digital or film submissions for your magazine. or does the format make any difference?

Big Sky Dave:
Thanks Curt.
May I ask if you'd rather receive digital or film submissions for your magazine. or does the format make any difference?

This all depends.

Digital is still no place close to slides in resolution quality but getting closer all the time.

With slides I can scan an image with my leaf scanner (DRUM) to fit an 11X17 inch color tabloid (2 facing pages). Its an old scanner (10years) but still does a great job, and it should for the $22,000 price tag.

With most digital cameras, such as mine, a Nikon D100 6.3 megapixel camera I can normally get a single page photo 8 1/2 X 11.

Digital still has its limits, but the savings on film, developing and personal time far out weighs print film, plus immediate viewing and 200 photos a dive.

I paid about $2500.00 for my D100 and a 10.5mm wide angle lense, but if I were to calculate the amount I would have spent on film and processing, its paid for its self twice.

Good Question.

So far I have not had any problems with submitting digital images ( or still video images) to magazines.

Of course it depends on the publisher and subject of the photo.

Most photos I have submitted have been .tiff or raw images. I have however submitted several .JPEG images that worked well for the magazine.

From what I was told by two different publishers, as long as the resolution is above 3.5mp for smaller prints and 5mp for larger ones there is "no forseeable problem" - - - I'm glad all of my cameras are 10mp or higher.

Dive Safe!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom