In the market to purchase a camera set up.. Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been using an underwater Sea n Sea DSX3000 Digital to take pics. It's a 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. It does an okay job. My passion is to take it to the next level by by purchasing a 7 megapixel or higher, complete with fully functional case, and strobe set up. I'm not a proffesional photographer, however I'm very interested in taking serious photos.. so I'm willing to spend a little more than most... I'm looking to get everything I need initially so I wont have to keep making major purchases after the initial investment. Any suggestions????
Thanks, Terry

Terry,

Are you looking to get a "compact" camera setup again or are you looking for a DSLR?

The next level is likely to be the Oly 5050 or similar. Very versatile, great images.

The level after that is going to be dSLR and you are talking some big bucks to get into that arena. Cameras start around $900US + lenses + ports + housings + cords + arms + strobes + tray. Not trying to scare you, just letting you know that going dSLR has a lot of extras that sometimes we forget! :wink:

hey terry
i agree with alcina. the 5050 is a great camera and you can probably snag a housing pretty cheap off ebay. maybe even a strobe. as for the dslr im currently putting together a setup with my nikon d70. im spending just about $3000. and that isnt including the $900 camera. hope this helps. good luck!

TerryTat:
I've been using an underwater Sea n Sea DSX3000 Digital to take pics. It's a 3.2 megapixel point and shoot. It does an okay job. My passion is to take it to the next level by by purchasing a 7 megapixel or higher, complete with fully functional case, and strobe set up. I'm not a proffesional photographer, however I'm very interested in taking serious photos.. so I'm willing to spend a little more than most... I'm looking to get everything I need initially so I wont have to keep making major purchases after the initial investment. Any suggestions????
Thanks, Terry

I definetly dont want a compact... I have about three grand in my budget.... I'm really new to this. Especially all the terms... dslr? One thing I do know is I want a camera capable of taking high resolution pics... with plenty of light from strobes . I'm very aware of the need for light down there. I've taken many a pic, that would have been a good photo with my compact only to find it's green when I get home.
thanks for the advice... please keep it coming.
Terry

Terry

A DSLR is, in layman terms, a digital camera with interchangable lenses.

I would think you'd be hard pushed to pick up a DSLR rig including housing, camera and strobes for $3K. You might be able to save a little by going for an Acrylic housing, such as those made by Ikelite, as opposed to an Aluminium housing.

The conditions I shoot in here in the UK are very similar to the green waters of California. I really notice how much more light is needed when I shoot in my home waters compared to blue water. I use Dual Ikelite DS125's which I've found to be excellent strobes, although a little on the expensive side.

Paul

Yup, $3k is going to be tough for what you are thinking.

have you considered the Oly 5050 and strobes? Excellent results and the strobes will move with you when you do go to a more expensive system.

Talk to Ryan about your needs - he's awesome:
www.reefphoto.com
Ryan@ReefPhoto.com

For your budget, something like Oly C7070/8080, Ikelite housing and strobe is probably going to be a good place to start as dSLR will cost quite a bit more than your budget allow if you start from scratch. C5050 is a pretty good setup as well, you can see some pictures that I took with C5050 before I switched to dSLR in my website

Thew new Olympus C-7070 and C-8080 cameras are nice. If you like wide angle, these cameras will do great with the Olympus w/a lens behind the Ikelite dome port. The only disadvantage is the same as if you were using a DSLR- you can't switch between wide angle and macro.

My own choice would be the Canon G6. It's a 7 MP model and got top ratings from DPreview. The advantage over the Olympus models is that the G6's lens isn't as wide. You can use an Inon wide angle lens right in front of the housing. The Olympus C-7070 is too wide for that. Also the front element on the C-7070 moves so it could make focusing difficult. I would also advise purchasing 1 or 2 Inon 67mm close up lenses. They are stackable. Ikelite will have conversion circuitry available soon so you can shoot TTL. I would choose their DS-125 strobe. It's fast, has lots of settings and can cover the wide angle lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom