USS Indianapolis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they have ever found the wreck of the USS Indianapolis? I tried an internet search and came up empty.

I'm surprised that there doesn't appear to have been a search for this very well known wreck, like has occurred with the Yorktown, the Bismarck and other great warships lost at see.

TheDivingBear:
Ya know.... I think it MIGHT be a little to deep to dive to (without a submarine)

http://www.ussindianapolisinharmsway.com/recentsearch.htm

Peace,

Bear

I don't think he was suggesting that anyone would be diving it. The Yorktown and Bismark were found by dragging a sled with a camera on it.

I don't think that they ever found the Indianapolis.

BTW medic-diver45, when did you become a hautian? We might be neighbors and didn't know it.

gatorbill:
I thought Bob Ballard found it, but apparently didnt. The last search I can find was from 2000, according to this...
http://www.discovery.com/exp/indianapolis/prev_news10.html

I thought I something about this too. The history of the Indianapolis,after her sinking, may be the reason it was not looked for. It is an interesting story. I would advise everyone to look it up.

The Indianapolis is marked on Navy charts and memorial ceremonies and observances are conducted by ships passing through the area.
When the ship I was on passed near the spot, we altered course to mark on top and render honors to our shipmates still out there.
Unless something has recently been named "Indianpolis", there is no US warship currently with that name with the decommissioning of the Los Angeles-class SSN-697.

A couple of months ago the Discovery Channel ran the Ballard documentary when he was searching for the USS Indianapolis. He had 3 of the crewmembers from when it went down.

The wreck was not located during his documentary and I have never seen anything recent stating it had been located.

socaldiver:
A couple of months ago the Discovery Channel ran the Ballard documentary when he was searching for the USS Indianapolis. He had 3 of the crewmembers from when it went down.

The wreck was not located during his documentary and I have never seen anything recent stating it had been located.

They just replayed that last weekend, as it was close to the 60th anniversary of its sinking. The original program was filmed a few years ago. However, I seem to recall a note that flashed up at the end of the program that said it still has not been located.

They know about where she was struck, but they don't know for certain where she lies. However, having now checked three of the "strongest" possibilities during that prior search, I guess they can say that they know where it isn't. The depths in the search area are over 12,000 feet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom