Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Indianapolis

Registered

Has not set a "status"

USS Indianapolis

Does anyone know if they have ever found the wreck of the USS Indianapolis? I tried an internet search and came up empty.

I'm surprised that there doesn't appear to have been a search for this very well known wreck, like has occurred with the Yorktown, the Bismarck and other great warships lost at see.

"Some days you look at your wife and go "I couldn't have found a better woman" and others you're just looking for a place to bury the body."- Rodney Carrington

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Ya know.... I think it MIGHT be a little to deep to dive to (without a submarine)

http://www.ussindianapolisinharmsway...centsearch.htm

Peace,

Bear

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDivingBear
    Ya know.... I think it MIGHT be a little to deep to dive to (without a submarine)

http://www.ussindianapolisinharmsway...centsearch.htm

Peace,

Bear
    I don't think he was suggesting that anyone would be diving it. The Yorktown and Bismark were found by dragging a sled with a camera on it.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Barangay Pasaway

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    or by remote controlled mini subs
    Spoon "Lurker at the Threshold"
    www.gemwood.net

lost, even with a compass

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I don't think that they ever found the Indianapolis.

BTW medic-diver45, when did you become a hautian? We might be neighbors and didn't know it.

I have a PhD in Bovinian Excremetology.

"Dive till it hurts, hang till it stops."- Rick Kruzel

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I thought Bob Ballard found it, but apparently didnt. The last search I can find was from 2000, according to this...
    http://www.discovery.com/exp/indiana...ev_news10.html

Registered

status, we DON'T need
    no stinkin' status

Dives
    200 - 499
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbill
    I thought Bob Ballard found it, but apparently didnt. The last search I can find was from 2000, according to this...
    http://www.discovery.com/exp/indiana...ev_news10.html
    I thought I something about this too. The history of the Indianapolis,after her sinking, may be the reason it was not looked for. It is an interesting story. I would advise everyone to look it up.
    Time flies when you are having fun, fruit flies like bananas...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/div...home-pond.html

Scuba Instructor

no mo boat

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    The Indianapolis is marked on Navy charts and memorial ceremonies and observances are conducted by ships passing through the area.
    When the ship I was on passed near the spot, we altered course to mark on top and render honors to our shipmates still out there.
    Unless something has recently been named "Indianpolis", there is no US warship currently with that name with the decommissioning of the Los Angeles-class SSN-697.
    Tom
    NAUI instructor
    PADI divemaster

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

Discovery Channel

A couple of months ago the Discovery Channel ran the Ballard documentary when he was searching for the USS Indianapolis. He had 3 of the crewmembers from when it went down.

The wreck was not located during his documentary and I have never seen anything recent stating it had been located.
    Maui No Ka 'Oi
    Stay Safe, Stay Wet,
    Socaldiver

Tod
    Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by socaldiver
    A couple of months ago the Discovery Channel ran the Ballard documentary when he was searching for the USS Indianapolis. He had 3 of the crewmembers from when it went down.

The wreck was not located during his documentary and I have never seen anything recent stating it had been located.
    They just replayed that last weekend, as it was close to the 60th anniversary of its sinking. The original program was filmed a few years ago. However, I seem to recall a note that flashed up at the end of the program that said it still has not been located.

They know about where she was struck, but they don't know for certain where she lies. However, having now checked three of the "strongest" possibilities during that prior search, I guess they can say that they know where it isn't. The depths in the search area are over 12,000 feet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast