Do Underwater Cities Exist???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jptrealty

Contributor
Reaction score
well are there ANY underwater citie that exist don to say 300'??? NOT 2-6 tructures that have fallen apart, but a complete town, Existing buildings and homes

I would like to dve through man street so to speak

i seem to remember a discovery chanel special on one YEARS ago.

The straight scoop would be nice

Thank You

theyl have one in china soon once the 3 gorges dam starts operations. they will flood hundreds of cities so stay in touch.

Deep Hull:
Took the words right out of my mouth....errr.....I mean, off my finger tips.

imagine hundreds of temples, ancient cities and buildings under fresh water. kinda reminds me of tomb raider.

On the more prosaic side, up in your neck of the woods there JP, when they began flooding the area around Candlewood Lake in SW Connecticut in the late 20's, they supposedly flooded at least one township. No idea where it was though.

jptrealty:
well are there ANY underwater citie that exist don to say 300'??? NOT 2-6 tructures that have fallen apart, but a complete town, Existing buildings and homes

I would like to dve through man street so to speak

i seem to remember a discovery chanel special on one YEARS ago.

The straight scoop would be nice

Thank You

When they built the Comerford Dam on the Connecticut river( between NH and VT), they flooded a village. That was back in the 60's. I've never heard of anyone diving it, so I'm not sure what condition the village would be in now, or whether it filled up with silt over the last 40 years. But, you might want to check into it, it's not THAT far from NY
Chris

Candlewood Lake is horrible. No vis, and cold cold water. There are a couple of bridges intact still, and some foundations, farm equipment and stoves. The old cemetary up on the hill still sports it's iron gates and stone walls, though the bodies were dug up when the lake was made. Pete at Pan Aqua runs a pontoon charter that caters to 6 divers for a reasonable price.

I've also been on a search for underwater houses and other structures. Raystown Lake in PA has the original electric station near where the new dam is, and we plan on diving that in the late fall.

Anyway, good luck finding anything. Every lead I've searched has come up to a dead end. Seems as though when they dam an area, they remove and or burn everything before they flood it. I live in the NYC watershed, and the resevoirs here have multiple (some 10-12) "flooded villages", but after further research discovered that the buildings were demolished before flooding.

Never dove there, but I was told by a friend who lives and dives in Panama that there's a flooded town in the lake that feeds the canal, complete with railroad. From what he told me it was where the builders/workers lived when the canal was being built, and was just left there when they opened the canal. Can't say if it's true or not, but might be worth checking out.

Al.

Actually, there are already 5 in China in the Zhejiang province. You can read more about this at: http://www.asiandiver.com/magazine/05feb_mar/thousand_island_atlantis.htm

However, the issue is more about getting there, permits to dive, and all that. :chinese:

I've been working (although I have to admit, not very hard ) to get everything in order to do this, since I live so close, but with no results yet.

Guess I better get back to work :1poke:

If anyone on the board from China has leads, or knows about how to get this sorted, information woud be much appreciated. :god:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom