Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Diving the USS Pennsylvania

Divemaster Candidate

Has not set a "status"

Right in the middle of Iowa With NO Clean water around
    Dives
    50 - 99

Diving the USS Pennsylvania

My Grandfather was one of the last people on this ship in 1946 when they were loading it up with canned foods to study the effects of radiation, and also how to clean it up as well. He was also on the ship when she had a torpedo put in her side and almost sunk off the coast of Japan. They then brought her back thru a typhoon with only one screw he said it was quite a ride.
    I have been looking to find out if the ship is diveable but there isn't much info on this wreck. I did find that the other wrecks scuttled with her are safe from radiation and are diveable.
    So my question is does anyone have any info on this wreck (depth, dive shops that dive it, or even pics)? I hope to dive it someday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    "I find it very hard to talk to you, I mean where is your face anyway.... no no no thats your belly button" Geico Lizard

"I'm not scared of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens" Woody Allen
    http://rochesterscuba.org/

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I have not dived this wreck, but I might make a suggestion. Do some internet searches for dive operators that service Kwajalein, or the Marshall Islands in general. Obtain some email address for contacting them. Then write to them. Tell them your story, and what you are looking for. Ask for their help. Ask them to suggest someone else to talk to that might know more. Using this method you will meet some interesting people, make some great contacts for your 'someday' trip and who knows you might even find some answers. When you are looking, get all information that you can on all unidentified wrecks off the coast of Kwajalein.

Good luck,

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    Kwajalein doesn't really have dive operators.... just a dive club for local members, which they then arrange some boat diving.

You can't visit there without being sponsered by an individual who lives there or going for (approved) work purposes. it's not a tourist destination.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Good luck on your quest. Hope you can make it happen.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    As of the January 2006, Kwajalein was opened to the general public. Also, I know of atleast one liveaboard operating there.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Sent of an email for you. Here is the response I received:

"... The Pennsylvania was nuked at Bikini I take it? If so, I believe that all those ships, except the Prinz Eugen, were towed out to open ocean and scuttled/sunk. I am pretty certain that they were not scuttled in the lagoon. That means that odds are that they are outside the lagoon and anything there would not be reachable by sport divers. The bottom drops off to several thousand feet just outside the lagoon.

Now the atoll is the worlds largest and I know that it hasn’t been totally searched. However, the nautical charts do list the larger Japanese wrecks form WWII, so I would imagine that the Pennsylvania would have been noted on the charts had they found it."

Hope it helps,

Divemaster Candidate

Has not set a "status"

Right in the middle of Iowa With NO Clean water around
    Dives
    50 - 99
    Well that's a bummer, I really wanted to see it. I guess I'm going to have to start saving for a sub. :-) Thank you very much for the digging you did.
    "I find it very hard to talk to you, I mean where is your face anyway.... no no no thats your belly button" Geico Lizard

"I'm not scared of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens" Woody Allen
    http://rochesterscuba.org/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

pennsylvania wreck

Hello guys,
    I am just back from western pacific - we spent (except Bikini) one week in Kwajalein lagoon diving Prinz Eugen and preparing film about this "lucky" german battlecruiser.

I made also some investigations regarding Pennsylvania wreck. Spoke with local divemaster and some fishermen, there are no evidence, that Penny was sunk inside the lagoon.
    All known wrecks - except Eugen, are only cargo vessels or planes.
    According my info, Penny was anchored in Kwajalein lagoon for radiological and structural studies until 10th of February, 1948 when she was sunk outside the Kwajalein lagoon. No need to add, that depth at this area should be thousands of feets.