Collecting antique bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detroit Mudpuppy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone After searching for threads related to this i only came upon the odd mention of finding bottles in a few posts. Is anyone interested in collecting and or recovering antique bottles or stoneware? It would be interesting to hear what divers are finding.

I have found a wine bottle from the late 1800's, Laudanum bottle from close to the same period, and some plates! It's all cool I love the history of some of these old wrecks!

Have found a bunch of torpedo bottles,medicene,soda water bottles,beer bottles.Ceramic pitcher.
All from either local wrecks in LI Sound/South shore wrecks and fishing/mooring areas.mid to late 1800's..Always looking for new locations.

I found a little medicine bottle this past Saturday. It has "Dr. Dewitt's Eclectic Cure" written on it along with some other words. I quick google search turned up a picture of another of these bottles but no explaination as to its origin. Pretty cool though.

keep 'em as long as they don't belong to a wreck.

If they are part of a shipwreck then they bottles are the property of the State in which the wreck lies. If of course, the wreck in international waters.. all bets are off.

Most bottles I've found have been "random finds" and not associated with any wreck. This is because people drank what was in the bottle and then simply threw it overboard...

Tried to upload a couple pics of some nice finds but was unable to because of the file size, is there a way of converting the picture format so they will upload?

Thanks Ed I tried to upload in that manner but the picture quality was too high. Here is a picture of some local pottery bottles, some from Detroit, Sandwich and Amherstburg Ontario. The ontario bottles are extremely rare. Hopefully I will have time to get out more this year to do some hunting for more local bottles.

Attachments

• HPIM0473.jpg
    HPIM0473.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 3,271
Here are some very rare soda bottles from my hometown of Windsor Ontario. They range from the mid 1870's to the late 1890's. If hayone has similar collections it would be nice to see them. Happy hunting :D

Attachments

• HPIM0474.jpg
    HPIM0474.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 2,373

Back
Top Bottom