"NEWBIES" wanting to shark tooth dive in Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

izzyeman

Registered
Reaction score
Wife and I getting certified this weekend (in Texas), been going to Venice for yrs, always wanted to dive the "boneyard". Planning a trip to the area May 14th-25th ,tried to schedule with Florida West, they were less than encouraging, felt as if they wanted nothing to do with a couple of newbies. (is this what I have to look forward to with all charters?) I guess I'm stuck with getting experiance from the shore. Any one have any advise, how is Caspersan Beach?
Signed. Very Depressed :newbie:

Thanks ReefGuy for all the info, saw your post on where to go in Venice. I know those areas well, they are usually the best places to find teeth and shells on the beach also. Where can you park around Alhambra? Staying in Siesta Key, found a dive shop called Florida Underwater Sports that does the tooth dive (more expensive). They also offer a shore dive for $50 with a dive master, might be a good idea for us to get our feet wet. lolol ok not that funny thanks again

At Alhambra, you just park on the side of the street. It dead ends into the beach, and is not a long walk. I can probably make it out there one weekend day.

As a "newbie" sharktooth diving I had a great experience with Florida West. They gave a great presentation on what to look for while under water. Since my first trip with them I have gone back 4 or 5 more times. Im not sure who put a bad taste in your mouth for them but we have never had any problems. I would suggest giving them a try. I just wrapped up a trip with them and hopefully will be planning another soon. I was able to dive the beach North of Sharkies Pier and came back with a few teeth there also. Either way get wet and have fun.

If you are going to do a beach dive take a compass with you.

My daughter was 10 the first time we went out with Florida West. She got seasick and puked on Steve's feet while he was giving his "what to look for" speech, he never missed a beat and she did her dives. Not once was there any impression of unwelcome newbie. He later sat with us on the fantail and spoke with my daughter about echinoderms (she wants to be a marine biologist). We dive with them several times a year.

You cannot get much newer than a ten year old on her 10th dive.

Aristakat charters carries a Dive master each trip, We have been having very good luck lately. As far as newbies we were all that at one time and that doesn't matter perfect depth to get accustom to diving and finding its treasures. Heres today pics with two dives fossilbones, & megs . It was a pleasure to have Arron,Todd,Kat,Travis, & Travis on the boat.

Attachments

• P5070006.JPG
    P5070006.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 244
  • P5070007.JPG
    P5070007.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 239
Reffguy who got biggest on this dive trip:D ,No matter who you go with nothing better then getting done diving and not having to worry about all the beach sand in your gear.

Attachments

• Sharks teeth 042008 007.JPG
    Sharks teeth 042008 007.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Sharks teeth 042008 009.JPG
    Sharks teeth 042008 009.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 616

Back
Top Bottom