Shark tooth diving in Potomac river?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtminter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know if you can find megalodon teeth in the potomac river between MD and Va? I have heard through rumor that you can but never any definite proof. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything. I know that you can find some small fossilized teeth on the beaches of the river.

Thanks

Calvert Cliffs MD you may find meg teeth and other cool fossils. This is on the Chesapeake Bay, I have heard of folks diving there but have not met anyone who has

Check my photos and you will see some teeth that my dive buddy and I found near calvert cliffs. I have meant some others who dive the Chesapeake for teeth. I dont think you will find the quantity or quality you find in Florida or North Carolina but there are some there. There are other fossils to be found also.

Chainsaw0069,
I think that is really cool that you found those teeth near Calvert Cliffs. I've spent some time in the park, messing around the cliffs looking for fossils. The water conditions don't exactly look inviting for diving... but I wonder if you'd share some local info. Where did you get into the water, what season, what kinds of depth/currents did you experience, etc. Also, how did you look for the items - did you strain the bottom mud, or did you just feel around? (note how I assume zero vis).

Thanks for all the info in calvert cliffs. I've never been there but I've heard of it. I may have to check it out some time this summer. I am also curious of the technicques used to find the fossils there. Is the diving really difficult there?

If you look at your charts for the river - you will find Nomini Cliffs just down river from Colonial Beach (VA side). Fossils come out of those cliffs and can be found in the water. Also move a little farther downriver and you will find an island named Sharktooth Island (again VA side). Every weekend you will find people on that island staring at the ground looking for them. Diving around this island will also be fruitful for a diver who knows what they are doing.

How about the diver that doesn't know what he's doing(about shark tooth hunting)? But who wants to learn ? :)

We took a boat over and anchored off of Calvert Cliffs. Current wasnt bad. This was a month or 2 ago. Not sure exact date but I can check my log book if you want. Depth was 8 ft . Did not strain the bottom. It was a sandy bottom no mud. I just swam along and looked for triangle shapes. That doesnt always work for the teeth may be partially burried or covered. You may only see a small portion of the tooth so you have to use your imagination as to what you are looking at. I have only dove the Cheasapeake once looking for sharks teeth. I plan to return to Calvert Cliffs and with the info on other locations I would like to dive them also.
Maybe we should get a small group meet up and go. Any takers?

I am definitely up for planning a group dive at calvert clifts to find some teeth. It would be great to go with someone with some experience. I parents live in King George, VA and I go to visit some times. So I could easily swing a dive on a saturday or sunday sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom