Saint Marys River Georgia Shark teeth diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8251reefer

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am curious if anyone out there has done any shark tooth diving in the Saint Marys River in Georgia. The specimens I have seen from here are really nice but I have no idea where to start. If their is anyone that has dove there or that is curious and wants to go let me know. I just dove the Cooper River yesterday and now I am afraid I am hooked on black water diving....Take care. and let me know via pm or posting here. Thanks again.

I've never heard of it. Do you know where the other specimens were found? We used to swim in the St. Mary's regularly when we were kids. The spot we went to was up around Bryceville (Fl -side) that was several miles inland and there were none there. Of course we weren't looking for them either. If there are teeth there, figure they would be closer where the river empties out near Fernandina, and you may have the corner market for opening a OP. Let me know if you hear of anything. Would be interested in going with you.

I have a friend who found shark teeth while digging basements around Macon. The whole southern end of the state has them.

Hey there.

I've been on the Cooper a number of times now, and I've sort of "apprenticed" with an experienced guide there. My wife and I live in North Georgia and are thinking about moving to the Georgia Coast in a year or two, and I'd like to start a charter service for fossil diving the river.

Like the Cooper, the St. Mary has "hot spots" that change from year to year. To my knowledge, these have not been mapped by anyone, and finding the gravel beds that throw fossils is a painstaking process that can take a long time.

I've been boat shopping for a little while now and will probably not buy this year but next; at that time I'll begin spending real time on the river and will need help. Contact me by private message if you'd be interested in working something out. It wouldn't be for pay, but free diving in exchange for helping me on the boat and making dives to identify and mark good fossil beds.

To my knowledge there isn't anyone offering a regular charter service on the St. Mary but I have also seen very good quality fossils and artifacts that have come from the river.

Let me know if you're interested.

Hey there I am stationed in Savannah at Hunter Army Airfield and I just started looking for places to dive for sharks teeth around here. If you still want help on the boat or if anyone else knows a good place (I've seen a few samples from the Wassaw sound) let me know.

Let me know when you are planning a dive, I'll take a weekend and help out! I dive Venice Beach, Florida regularly to hunt teeth, it would be great to have something closer! I also dive Lake Lanier so limited viz isn't an issue...

Anyone still interested in doing this? I've tried it once there- not for the faint of heart. Didn't find anything but sand. I have access to a boat if I can find someone that has had some luck getting on the gravel and finding teeth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom