Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been poster boy for 5 metal detector companies. Have recovered many thousands of coins from shipwrecks, and some from land finds, base camps, Ect. and believe it or not parking lots. You need to talk to sombody that has used whatever type of detector you are interested in. Most, maybe even all metal detector companies have a good product, but when it comes time to pick the fly poop from the pepper you need help. Captain Fizz

yep that is what I am looking for captainfizz ,if you had to pick one detector for use underwater which would it be

I've been using a Tesoro sandshark, and Tesoro tigershark wading and snorkeling. (Just recently got certified) and they are very good. (Although the sand shark is a PI unit so it likes to find twisty ties 6 inches deep) I had a CZ-20 and it leaked at only 5 feet under water :depressed: was a nice unit while it lasted..sometimes didn;t like to ground balance, been wanting a minelab excalbier for a while. I know a few people who have it and love it. If you use it on ground some complain about pinpointing. May want to try a metal detecting forum. Not sure what the rules are for linking but if you PM me will let u know where i post.

Good luck

~Phil

All metal detectors have something going for them or they wouldn't be in business. After using many, many of them over the last 35 yeats, and giving instruction on their use in Dive Shops, Seminars at DEMA, and other shows my choice is the Fisher Pulse 8X. I have many reasons for this, and many hundreds of hours underwater with one. I have recovered thousands of Spanish Shipwreck Coins, and artifacts using the 8X. Anyway I gave some instruction on them at my booth this year at DEMA. I am always glad to talk to someone that is interested. Fizz

Pulse 8 might be a good choice if you are only going to hunt for deep buried shipwreck coins in salt water. The Excalibur however works great on land, walking in the water, fresh or salt water. The added benifit is that you do not have to have a great ear and listen for slight flucuations in tone to find a target. The excalibur even has a seperate target volume so you can crank it up while on scuba to hear targets over bubbles. In my opinion a good multi frequency machine is the best bet for anyone just starting off.

Safe diving
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com
www.shipwreckexpo.com

I will be on both salt and fresh water probably more salt , I would have to say i kind of lean towards the PI units but that is probably because I have one already and don't mind digging up everything.
the Fisher looks good and seems to work out about the same price as the 722C model. from the photos the Ebinger seems more compact from the travel point of view.

anyway there will be a period of saving before I can buy so I can do some more research unfortunately in Ireland there is little or no market for metal detectors so its not easy to go and take a look at any of them

One reason I like the Pulse 8X is because of the meter. I don't use any type audio. No head phones, no bone phone. I concentrate just on the meter, and how far I move the head each pass. I have see people looking around while using headphones. They believe they are not missing anything because they will hear it so the head does not stay on the bottom because you are not looking at you machine. The area covered on your swing should be half the measurement of the diameter of the head. In other words if the head is 8 inches your pass'es should be only 4 inches not 8, and when your concentrating on the meter your also concentrating on your swing. There are other reasons why I have come down to this machine. It would take an hour or so to explain it, but lets just say that I have recovered thousands of coins and artifacts, and when I dive a site its with the pulse 8X. It can be set up for beach use, and I have done it, its just that underwater I find it hard to beat. If I were going to do a lot of beach hunting I would research the machines my friends use and try them. In any case if I had to have two machines one for diving, and one for beaching I would have two machines. I know there is more expense, but it only takes one nice coin to pay for a good machine. I've done it many times. Why use only one that may work OK in both places when you can have two that work a lot better in their respective places. D.L. Chaney told me a long time ago, "If Your Going To Be Serious About This You Need The Best" Good Hunting, Fizz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom