Megalodon Charters in Venice Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MegalodonCharters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Fossil Hunters!

We are Megalodon Charters, the new Charter Business here in Venice, Florida. We are Capt Steve Jones and Amelia Jones, the new owners of the vessel Hammerhead, previously owned and operated by Florida West for 12 years. Florida West SCUBA is still at the same spot offering classes and SCUBA gear. We have an office right next door, and are running the boat, Hammerhead, daily.

For those of you who have gone out on Hammerhead in the past, you'll find things have pretty much stayed the same. For those of you who have not been on a Shark Tooth Dive, come on out and check out some fossil hunting dives. Check out our dive calendar, and dive video at megalodoncharters.com.

Our grand opening is this Friday, February 5th from 4-6pm. It is open to the public. We are located right next to Marker 4 Restaraunt in Fisherman's Wharf. If you are here in Venice, please stop by. If you are thinking about a Shark's Tooth Dive, please give us a call 941-483-DIVE (3483).

Diving is our passion. As the only Coast Guard Certified Dive Boat in Sarasota County, we look to offer you the safest and best Shark Tooth Dive experience Venice has to Offer.

We have not been going out recently due to the weather, but once the weather clears up we'll be keeping you posted on daily weather conditions. We look forward to diving with you! (Thanks Lee for pointing us to this thread, and thanks Scott and Mike for your well wishes!)
All the best! and Safe Diving!
Capt Steve Jones
Megalodon Charters, megalodoncharters.com
941-483-DIVE (3483)

Hello Fossil Hunters!

We are Megalodon Charters, the new Charter Business here in Venice, Florida. We are Capt Steve Jones and Amelia Jones, the new owners of the vessel Hammerhead, previously owned and operated by Florida West for 12 years. Florida West SCUBA is still at the same spot offering classes and SCUBA gear. We have an office right next door, and are running the boat, Hammerhead, daily.

We have not been going out recently due to the weather, but once the weather clears up we'll be keeping you posted on daily weather conditions. We look forward to diving with you!

It doesn't seem like the wind has let up at all this winter. We were visiting relatives at Christmas and were booked with you folks for 4 days. We got blown out all 4. We had been out with Steve Thacker in the past and had a great time so
we will try you again the next time we are visiting my folks.

I dove with you right after you took over. Not to bad. I will be back in March with several people. Hoping the water has calmed down some by then. We had Great Times Diving with the Steve Thatcher and Marie. Looking forward to Great Times Diving with your outfit also.

Thanks. The weather has not let up, and we look forward to having you guys come back once we have have better weather.

I am working on plans for an April visit. As soon as I work out the plans with the rest of my group
I will give you a call. I am looking forward to doing some shark tooth dives!
I have one person that will be a new diver on this trip, does your charter have a minimal experience limit?
See you topside John

John,
We look forward to seeing you guys in April. All divers must be Open Water Certified to do the Shark Tooth Dive. Give us a call and we will get you scheduled. We should have some good weather in April.
Sincerely,
Amelia Jones
Megalodon Charters
941-483-DIVE (3483)
dive@megalodoncharters.com

Hi Steve,

My brother and I are coming down to Venice next week 3/5 - 3/13. I am hopeful, based on forecasts that weather will have calmed down enough for you guys to go out. Do you recommend reserving a spot now or shall we wait until we get there to get a better guess of the weather.

Hope to see you underwater soon,

Doug

Hi all, I just returned from Venice, diving from my Zodiac ( I use this name generically, it's really made by Mercury). We lucked in with the diving. The vis was around 8-10 ft. which understand is good for this area. The water is cold around 54 deg., not too bad for the 1st have hour but we were diving with 120s so after 90 min. you are done.
We scored teeth on the first day but on the second we only found manitee bones. I would recommend diving from directly in front of the fishing warf at Sharkies restaurant and south and out about a mile and a half in 30-35 ft of water. If you get on a sand bar for get it, your looking for little rocky outcropings.
We camped at the Venice Retreat Campgrounds. It`s close to the dive area and a nice camp ground.
Got our air at Scuba West, great little shop and helpful staff Thanks again Steve.

Attachments

• IMG00108.jpg
    IMG00108.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,168
Nice finds. I would be interested to see anohter picture when they are cleaned up if you don't mind. Also maybe some measurements? Diving out of Zodiac in 54 degreee water? You might be just a little bit nuts but if you come back you should hook up with some if us on the board.

Hello all,
Today is the first day we have been out in quite some time. The visibility was about 3-5 ft, and the water temp was a cold 58 degrees. It was a bit too cold for several divers, who chose not to make the second dive.

We found some good teeth and bones.

We are scheduled to go out this Friday, Saturday and Sunday 3/12 - 3/14. For those who don't like the cold water, a few more weeks and it should warm up nicely.

Looking forward to having a good Spring and Summer once the water gets a little warmer.

All the best,
Megalodon Charters
941-483-DIVE (3483)
dive@megalodoncharters.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom