What's a reasonably priced underwater detector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qtdivergirl

Contributor
Reaction score
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, United States
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - I really want to start treasure hunting on beaches and underwater. What's a reasonably priced detector that is good on land and in the water for a first time user? I have no idea about them so any advice would be great! :confused:

Thanks

you will get a lot of opinions but using both Whites' and a Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2 both seal well but I have had a little better luck with the Garrett. Kellyco occasionally has sales but right around $600-$700 for a quality detector you won't have to worry about flooding (which is the main issue with lesser priced ones)

Enjoy

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check it out! have a great day!

Presently the only one I have is a Vibra-Tector Treasure Products, Inc | Home of the Vibra-Probe I think they are under $200 but are not suitable for land use unless you are going to hunt on your hands and knees.(great as a pinpointer).
the only other underwater detector I have used is a detector pro which is only suitable for land as the water tight seals leak and the ear cups crack.

the only other limits on the Vibra-tector is its short reach which limits the area you can sweep
and it will only penetrate to about 4 inches . all that said its a grate machiene for the price and easy to transport

Get a detector with discrimination. I've dug up tons of junk, a good one will find a rusted piece of wire at 6 inches and the degraded foil from a cigarette pack at 8. There is a lot of trash under the beach. Without discrimination you will dig it all.

I used to nugget detect out west, I learned there are a lot of lead pellets the size of bird shot in the desert, also a lot of very small bullet fragments.

Hi - I really want to start treasure hunting on beaches and underwater. What's a reasonably priced detector that is good on land and in the water for a first time user? I have no idea about them so any advice would be great! :confused:

Thanks

Garret Sea Hunter reasonable and reliable...but, look at the Garrett LS Infinium

Welcome to under water metal detecting –After I tried it, I was hooked. Now it seems that when I dive I always wonder what I might find if I had brought my detector with on the dive. I enjoy wreck diving a lot but when I fan away some sand in 8 to 10 feet of water and catch a glint of gold or silver – there is a rush of excitement. Don’t mistake me, this is by no means a way of chipping out a living but it sure is fun. In fact I was out today – wanted to use a new wetsuit, booties & gloves but could not scratch up a dive group so I went metal detecting in 10 feet of fresh water. No real goodies but still, when I first see a kids costume earring – still a sudden rush but then it just goes into my collection to talk about some day. My daughter picks some of the good stuff to keep for herself too.
Now to your question: I use a Whites Dual Field with a dive shaft. It has taken me a long time to learn how to use it but it does work well and penetrates deep. This was the best I could afford at the time, still use it and love it more every time I use it. Got it from Kellyco as a demo model. White’s customer service is great if you need them – I know this for a fact.
For starting out; the Excalibur 2 seems to be the one of choice if you can afford it. This I learned from going to all the treasure hunter boards and researching like crazy before making my purchase.
There are typically three type of detectors out there: PI (pulse induction) VLF (don’t recall this acronym) and a third but do not remember that one at all. The VLF seems to be good for people just getting started – it has the discrimination people talk about and may save you from digging a ton of bobby pins!
PI is what I have – I have dug a ton of bobby pins during my learning curve that lasted a whole summer. Not at all good for dry sand – your back will get sore digging trash but when you get into the water where the trash thins out and the ADULT swimmers go to cool off - that is where you find watches, wedding rings, earrings, chains etc.. The shallower water has loose change the kids have lost from their pockets.
When you dive near a yacht club, many boat owners will ask you to look for things they have dropped over – this sort of thing makes you feel good.
Call Kellyco, they will be very happy to answer questions and give you selection pointers to think over.
hope this helps a bit....

We use Aquapulse Metal Detectors - They're not cheap ($1200 - $1500 depending on the configuration), but I have detected many objects with the Aquapulse, both under water, and on land. Their ability to pinpoint the object is excellent. I've dug down as far as 14-16 inches to find the objects, and they are always precise as to whee I should look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom