Charleston SC Meg teeth and fossil sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
Below is a map showing dive sites where I have found Meg teeth, fossils, and various sorts of artifacts. Email me for the Google Map link showing more specifics. I can recommend boats also.

My family is in town (Charleston SC) and I would like to take them fossil hunting. They do not dive. Can anyone direct me to some specific land based fossil hunting sites around Charleston? Any help appreciated.

Megteeth.jpg

I will return the favor. I have a land site I can point you to. If you have not tried it already, you may want to give it a try. Haven't been there in years. Need to zero in on it and give you the lat and long. Its a creek. Its basically a little west of Ashley Phosphate on I-26. We found some tiny frags and a 3/4" tooth first time there. The tooth was 100%. Light gray with beige root.

Lee, I can give you more sites but I need to know if you want to get wet or do some digging.

I have no problem getting muddy, wading in creeks, digging, or black water diving. Its just too cold to dive at the current time for my tastes. Otherwise, I would be diving.

Okay, I'll send you over more sites with what you will need at each one.

very cool Mike...tks

I was looking at my notes the other day and noticed I had given some incorrect info on the offshore fossil bed. Here is the info where I found the fossilized scallop and the limestone bed. The info came from the Charleston Scuba website.

Little Gardens Reef
This natural ledge site is perfect for easy navigation with lots of critters and fish to see. At a depth of 75 feet there are plenty of large lobster and nurse sharks.
Cost: $120.00/2 dives

Here is a video I found on U-tube showing parts of the "ledge". If you dive it, look along the bottom edge of the ledge and keep a sharp eye out for fossilized shells sticking out of the bottom. The limestone bed will be dusted over with sand. This is likely part of the same ledge they are diving offshore NC and finding Megs. It runs parallel to the shoreline.

The ledge can easily be seen at the 2:55 minute mark on the video.

Last edited:
Not to revive a dead thread, but this post is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm planning a trip to Charleston with the fam in early April 2014. While I'd love to do a fossil dive there, none of them are divers. In particular I'm looking for a place I can take my 11-year-old son, while my wife spends the day with my daughter. He and I would be happy spending half a day digging in a creek bank or wading shallow water...whatever it takes.

Anyone have any tips? I'm open to a paid excursion, but would be happy with a public place where we can pick up a few broken megs, etc. :) He's pretty easy to please.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom