How to restore pocket watch found in water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was contacted by someone recently who found an old pocket watch in the the surf in Toms River just north of Lavallette, NJ. It appears to have been in the water for quite some time.

From the picture, you can see the condition and you can see a couple of shells attached to it.

This person is looking for help regarding finding out if there is any value to it, either historically or monetarily. In addition, I am looking to guide him in some way to restore this pocket watch to help identify the approximate age and make. I know there are divers out there who are knowledgeable in restoration techniques, and I hope you can provide some guidance.

Pictures:
pwatch2.jpg

pwatch1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello. great find. I am afraid that there is probably not much left to restore. I would think that that brown concretion around the case is all that remains of the steel working parts. As the steel corroded, it has expanded to fill the space behind the crystal and "oozed" out of the seams in the case. If you were able to get this open, I think all you would find would be brown flaky mud with the remains of a few non-steel gears. I wonder if you could do an entire "gut" replacement with a modern movement and still get the cool look of a battered, vintage gold case. Just my two cents worth Scott

Possibly muriatic acid would eat away the encrustation. Muriatic won't destroy the metal if its genuine gold. The black side though... can't tell from the picture what the metal is.

I'd try two different methods. First I'd use an ultrasonic cleaner. I'd start with plain water and work my way up to a weak, then moderately strong solution of Simple
Green concentrate. Start with perhaps 10/1 ratio and work your way up to 6/1. If that wasn't enough to blast the concretion away I'd use electrolytic cleaning solution ONLY as shown here

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

T
his page gives the background information to de-rust engine parts. Start with the solution only at first. You can try a low current application if the crud is still present.

You might find it a good idea to rinse the part in a weak acid solution to passivate the surfaces after the caustic solution washing. (I've used plain 5% vinegar.)

I have used these two methods to descale and uncrud many different found items. Be patient. Go slow. Don't overdo it.

DC

Judging from how much damage just a small amount of rust does to a pocket watch I do not see a resurrection being possible, but a sweet find.

I recently dug some horridly corroded jewelery tools from the foundation of my old shop that burned to the ground in '05. On a whim I placed them in the sonic, in Pepsi. Somewhere I had read of using coke to remove corrosion, and figured it was worth a try.

I was pleasantly surprised that my uselessly corroded tools were actually able to be reclaimed, if not cosmetically as pleasing as original. Just a thought.

Actually.. . . If you can get the case cleaned up a good watch shop could put a new movement in it. Years ago my neighbor found a gold pocket watch while metal detecting on my property (Sight of an old squaredance barn that burned) and he got it cleaned up and had a new movement put in it. I recently inherited an old silver pocket watch with a worn out movement. I had a Digital movement put in it. Turned out really Steam Punk so I gave it to my Son.

Actually.. . . If you can get the case cleaned up a good watch shop could put a new movement in it. Years ago my neighbor found a gold pocket watch while metal detecting on my property (Sight of an old squaredance barn that burned) and he got it cleaned up and had a new movement put in it. I recently inherited an old silver pocket watch with a worn out movement. I had a Digital movement put in it. Turned out really Steam Punk so I gave it to my Son.

I am a jeweler, not a watch maker, but I have seen such done literally hundreds of times in the past, although it is getting a lot harder to find a skilled watchmaker to the work needed.

I do have several good antique pocket watch movements here in a box in the shop, that I popped out of pocket watches being sold for the gold content. If the case is salvageable, as you suggest, there will be movements that can be refitted, or cheaper quartz movements retrofitted. I prefer the classic mechanical movements, and if the watch is to have any value that is the only way to go.

First tho, you need to gently clean the case, and get the destroyed movement out of it without doing any more damage. Once the movement is out you can examine the case to see what you have, and chose your options. If you were extremely lucky the watch might be a good make, where an original movement might be located, and refitted. That is the reason I often put good 17 jewel or better movements aside; just in case someone ever comes in with a project of this nature. (a part of me hates to destroy such craftsmanship, even though there is no longer a viable market for most of these watches, beyond scrap value)

The other option I would have considered would have been to leave everything as you found it, shells and all. Quite a conversation piece that way.

I realize this is pretty old now, and maybe I've just been watching too much Pawn Stars, but I wouldn't touch anything on that watch - or at least not until after talking to some experts. All that crap on there and the aging of the metal might actually add a lot of value to the piece - or make it more valuable then if it were a cleaned up working timepiece. If it ends up being wiser to restore, I would suggest getting it done professionally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom