Dream Shark tooth..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would love to hear any stories of a dream shark tooth you have pursued.....and then you found it. Details of how you found it would be great, sort of a fossil Harlequin romance novel so to speak. Size does not matter, no really... just a story of a tooth you always dreamed of finding and then you found it!! Happy Hunting!!

In Venice there is a Capt who is known for placing fake ceramic sharks teeth, some underwater, some hanging on posts near the frequented beaches. I had read about him and vowed one day I would find one. I was gearing up in front of Alhambra and I saw a Red/White painted dive flag style fake 8inch ceramic Meg hanging on the sign. My heart skipped a beat as I ran to it and saw it placed there. My Dad was with me and told me not to touch it, I looked at the back to see if it was numbered like I had heard he typically did. Not seeing the number I assumed it to be possibly someone else's tooth and not what I was looking for. I left that tooth......

I regret that decision to this day and the next time I see one it will be mine, my Dad was not aware of the story behind the teeth.

Not quite a real tooth story, but I have yet to find a real meg in the water yet. As soon as I have I will post that story because I am sure it will be as dramatic :) Haha

Good luck on that first Meg!! You are definately in the right place. I have read the post about those ceramic teeth as well and would like to add one to my collection someday...

So this guy goes around and just places ceramic teeth anywhere? and people can take them as if they are like a GEO cache find? Hmmmmmmmm, interesting. Gives me an idea.

Ok here's my little story for ya.

I'm down in Tampa, FL for a business trip, and I want to do some diving on my weekends. I read about shark tooth diving in Vienna, FL and head that way. Well I dive on Friday finding a handful of teeth, but no big Megalodons. Saturday I go back and make three dives getting a couple hundred teeth. STILL no big ones. On Sunday, my last day to dive before flight, I head out for 3 dives. On the first two it's the same with a couple hundred small teeth. The last dive was looking the same way. I was at 18ft and about 500yds offshore with 700psi left in my tank on my way back in. I was just swimming along staying on the bottom to keep out of the waves when I swim over a 4ft chunk of coral. Out of the corner of my eye I see the triangle shape and have to stop myself and spin around. I ended up silting the area out so I had to wait. Then I saw it again. My first Megalodon tooth that's about 2 1/2 in long. I was so happy that I finally found one. Last dive, last day, last part of my tank.

Orsk - I live in the Tampa area and dive Venice alot.. you had the 700 psi curse, as that is usually when you hit the good spots... drop a line when you come back in the area and we can hit Venice..

I had dove on the NC coast fossil ledge over a dozen times, having found a 2 inch great white tooth as my biggest trophy. Until 2 months ago, when a brought up a couple of 3 inch Meg teeth.

But I still hadn't found the big one, the "I want to put it on a gold chain and wear it like a Flavor Flav clock" tooth.

A couple of weeks ago, on a Friday dive I was down at 105ft, had run my reel out to ~150 ft and had been searching through rubble piles all the way out. I was down to 2000 PSI and thinking about turning around and turned to search one last rubble pile. There, on the edge of the small (~3ft round) pile was a triangle shape, as I reached for it I thought, probably another coral/rock/shell pretending to be a tooth. I grabbed it and flipped it over and DAMN, a 5.5 inch tooth. I got my buddy's attention, we high-fived, I put tooth in bag and we turned to scour our way back to the anchor line.

IMG_0507[1].jpgIMG_0509[1].jpg

It was the only tooth I found that day, but definitely one to remember.

Awesome tooth!! I want to do that ledge dive sometime........

All i want to find is a decent Makoi live an hour from Venice and plan on goingdiving in two days hoping to find a decent sized Mako,i live on Indian rocks beach and find hundreds of teeth a day some good size even a broken Meg but mostly all bull and tiger. Any one want to help with my Mako cause let me know,

I want to find this one's bigger brother, around 6"

014_crop.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom