Cleaning found fishing rods after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COWSskateGOOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On my last dive I found 3 fishing rods, One Shakespear unknown , One Ugly Stix, One Carrot Stick and a nice sized boat anchor....

I am interested in anyways people know how to clean up the fishing rods without too much damage, I know with my Fossils and sharks teeth I can soak them in Apple Cider Vinegar and it eats away at the growth within hours letting me just wipe it off ..... The reels I feel are pretty much seized up, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Well I haven't received any tips so I will give you a heads up.... I ended up using the same method for fossils.... took a trash bag and made a little basin filled it with apple cider vinegar (my new love) and soaked the rod for a bit in undiluted 100% mixture. I then rinsed with a hose and some of the harder areas used a screwdriver sideways (round vs round) to scrape barnacles off..... I am very pleased with the restoration thus far. I will need to replace a few eyelets which I have done before. 170$ Fishing rod for free and a couple hours of work sounds great to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom