anyone considering fossil diving Charleston SC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
i am thinking about doing some bottom time in some of the local rivers. also considering an offshore limestone ledge. always enjoy hearing from other fossilers about their escapades. (land sites or water sites)

prehistoric crocodile jaw from friends private collection (estimated crocodile length = 30ft )
100_0061.jpg

small modern day crocodile in comparison to the one I am holding in the photo above
american-crocodile_219_600x450.jpg

Hey, im in Cape Romain for the summer (20 minutes North of Charleston) and was thinking about doing the exact same thing! Im NAUI master and rescue diver certified, and have been desperately trying to find some diving spots around here (aside from $140 charters). I was speaking with one of the shop owners around here and he strongly suggested Cooper river for teeth and fossils. What days were you thinking?

Keith

I should be out there in November visiting my cousins in Charleston. What's the water temps like then?

Is there anywhere where you can do a walk-in entry on the river? I heard that some of the landings allowed for that, but i havnt been able to find them online.

you can do walk-ins anywhere you can find access such that you are on public property. one advantage of paying for a boat ride is that the captain will tell you the basic "lay of the land" at the dive site. he will tell you where the gravel bed is (this is what you are searching for because this is where the fossils are), where there are drop-offs (if any), where the bottom is hard pan (can't hold on here due to the current), where the sand is (very few fossil finds here), where the log jams are (entanglement concern), and other features of the bottom.

if you are going to do walk-ins here, you need to learn what type topography the alligators like to make their nest in. they are territorial and it is best to stay away from their territories. alligators are seldom if ever found in the center/bottom of a river. the edges of a river are a different story.

boats: DANGER...boats kill divers in this neck of the woods. USE A DIVE FLAG! USE A DIVE FLAG! USE A DIVE FLAG!

You can use any public boat landing. BEWARE.... you need to use one that has very few boats coming and going. Intoxicated boaters will kill you. Its a fact, and it happens here.

Below is a link to photos of a local public walk-in. If and when you decide to go for it, I will provide directions. The far side definitely is alligator territory (stay away). This is a channel for a lot of boat traffic. USE a dive flag! Also use a compass or dive reel to find your way back. I dove here off a boat. The bottom is not unfriendly. Mostly brown sand with some gravel beds and sharks teeth. You will have to search for the gravel beds. USE a dive flag!

Walk-in

well there is the Cooper, Wando, and Edisto Rivers. Offshore Charleston on the limestone ledges. Offshore Willmington NC on the limestone ledges. The Morgan River in Savannah. The Peace River in central Florida and offshore Venice Florida. After you have worked those sites, get back with me and I will have some more by then

Would you mind giving directions to that walk in entry spot? I was hoping to check it out either today or tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom