Meteor in Bantam Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd have to think it's buried very deep in the mud but if you did find it - it's probably very metallic so maybe a side-scan sonar? - it's probably worth a lot of money to the right people. I know slices of certain small meteors sell here in the thousands of dollars at the Tucson gem show.

Of course getting it out might be the bigger problem...

according to the great and wonderful internet, that lake has a max depth of 23 feet.

I know this is an old thread but I live 10 minutes from that lake and have done a lot of boating on Bantam lake. I remember the news about it but nothing ever came of it...

It would have made a big boom... But if it survived the atmosphere it is probably in little iron chunks. Likely being of nickle-iron it would start to corrode immediately (unless in sank into the anaerobic mud). A metal detector would probably be able to find chunks, if they exist. My guess is they are very scattered. The "whale size" would be from the bubble of plasma created by friction of vaporizing meteor and atmosphere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom