Found metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

britishseapowerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found some metal on a shipwreck from around 1870 - I was able to date the wreck from 2 bottles I found on her. The metal is non ferrous, and when I filed a section down it is silver in colour. Its solid so I am fairly certain its not lead - does anyone have any ideas what it might be? The piece is a cylinder shape about 30cm long and 4cm in diameter - it is extremely heavy. (I know its non ferrous as it has no impact on my compass).

Any suggestions or a means how i could definitively find out what it is would be much appreciated!

Take it or filings from it to a reputable jeweler is where I would start. And keep your mouth shut once you find out. Say nothing of the find's location or even that it was under water.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Take it or filings from it to a reputable jeweler is where I would start. And keep your mouth shut once you find out. Say nothing of the find's location or even that it was under water.

'Exactly'......If you want to know what happens when people/governments find out you've found a new wreck, read what happened to Mel Fisher, when he found the Atocha........Or when the Central America was found.......Greed, Greed, Greed !!!!!!!!

listen to jim hes giving you good advice here .................if your sure its not lead ,then its NOT a depth sounding device .....they used lead becuase it didnt rust

Jim is not giving good advice.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Jim was talking about "silver fillings in someone's mouth"...that's right... And none of us were here reading this thread, and Howard will be deleting it in a few hours :)

That's about as ridiculous as Jim's comments.

----

To the amateur, sure it sounds romantic to "find a valuable shipwreck" - but let's talk reality. First of all... Let's say it is silver (which I doubt). What would be the value of the bar (it's not a bar... it's a cylinder, and it's 1 foot long by 1.5" diameter - highly unlikely that it's silver bar)? At $28 an ounce... not much. If it's a historic piece from a historic shipwreck, then MAYBE you can get more value for it. But how? You need provenance. Without that, you just have a lump of silver. Big whoop. How do you get provenance? You have to be legitimate, and not a pirate. Conducting illegal salvage would probably cost you a hell of a lot more than doing it the right way, and filing a salvage claim.

As for the "poor Mel Fisher" comments also made. Really? Look at what trouble Mel Fisher went though, but look at the reward. Hundreds of millions of dollars, a hugely successful company, a museum, and more.

--

If you want some real advice. Figure out what the metal is yourself. Like I said earlier, you can buy a kit, or just do some simple science. The density of silver is approximately 10.49 g/cm3 The density of lead is 11.34 g/cm3. If there's other sediment on it, you can clean it with muriatic acid, and that will remove any sea growth and corrosion. I'll say this though. Silver doesn't look silver when you find it. Silver is generally encrusted with sand and makes a concretion. If it's not in a concretion, it's probably black and unrecognizable. I have first hand experience in this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom