Intentionally sunk wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skydiver1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Diving the Thistlegorm in Egypt is like visiting a WW2 museum. There's something special about being able to visit where a ship was bombed, and there's a sense of wonderment that it can only be accessed using scuba gear.

But what's the story with intentionally sunk wrecks. To me, they just done hold the same allure. Like the Vandenburg off Key West sunk a few years ago. They basically just dragged it out to a optimum diving depth and then scuttled it. That's like paying a prostitute for sex. I imagine you would still enjoy the sex, but it just wouldn't be the same thing as picking up at a bar.

Most reefs Ive doved are pretty boring - Cuba, Mexico, Cozumel. They all look the same after a while. I appreciate wall dives, but the only good reefs I've seen are in Egypt. So basically to me scuba largely consists of deliberately sunk wrecks, or even ridiculous things like cars, etc and mostly half assed reefs.

A lot of intentionally sunk wrecks off of Vancouver Island (and throughout the world) are often sunk to create an artificial reef for underwater creatures. Many empirical studies have shown that shipwrecks (and other artificial reefs) can significantly increase the concentration of marine wildlife (compared to normal) by providing an area for animals to hide, plant-life to grow, and invertebrates to attach, among other things.

There are many different types of divers. It seems that wrecks, not wildlife, interest you. That's great!

I'm the opposite. Wrecks are nice and interesting, but I love marine life. Diving in a place so concentrated with marine animals is such a treat, seeing creatures everywhere I turn. I'm fascinated by animal behavior, and I love taking photographs of different creatures. Even though I see the same creatures all the time, they always behave differently, and each dive is different. At wreck sites without lots of wildlife, it seems to me that it'll always be a similar dive.

Looks like you found what interests you, now go for it and dive those wrecks. There are plenty of wrecks out there within recreational limits that should meet your criteria all over the world, tons in the South Pacific specifically. You can always get into tech diving and increase your depth so you increase your level of exploration.

OR

Take up macro photography, learn a bit more about sea life (if that interests you) and see what you've been missing. If they all look the same, you're not looking close enough.

That's the nice part about diving. The choice is yours based on the type of diving you want to do and what tickles your fancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom