Treasure question Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An old-timer I met a few years back has recently confided in me that he knows of a fisherman who goes out to sea to loot a wreck. The way these villagers fish is by endlessly peering through a glass bottom in their vessel, until they visually locate their quarry. One day, he located this wreck.

Whenever the fisherman is low on funds, he goes down there, sans scuba gear, by the way, and rummages around the wreck. Usually, he finds a few pieces of China that he then flogs off for peanuts. (I've seen pictures of the finds; it's mostly China, but there was a bronze toy cannon too.)

The old-timer has offered to take me along to the wreck's location, as it's close enough offshore to be reached comfortably.

Apart from the looting issues, I think the sudden presence in this quiet fishing town of a white dude, let alone around the partially looted wreck, will result in a few raised eyebrows at the very least. So I'm not sure tagging along is a good idea.

Anyone got any idea how to proceed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom