Minelab Excaliber threshhold trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crankincraig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a minelab excaliber 1000 that has started acting up. It was fine until the other day and now I can not seem to get the threshold to adjust properly. No matter what I do it will not hold a setting and fluxuates up and down , will not stay at the low buzzing sound like it should. It does still detect but it is difficult to use without holding a setting. Does anyone have a suggestion on anything I can look for to correct this. I hate the thought of sending it in for repairs this time of year , being in new england the warm water diving is kind of a short season. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Other than the obvious which I am sure you have already checked. It could be the Coil. I had the same thing happen.

Have you tried several new sets of batteries? I have had mine get erratic when batteries start to get low, and I have had bad new batteries. If it's not the batts, it's going to have to be worked on.

Thanks Guys , Sounds like I might have to send it in to get it looked at. I've tried everything including batteries both rechargable and also alkaline battery pack and nothing seems to matter. Turned every knob , wiggled wires , shake it , swear at it , talk nice to it and still nothing. Things like this never happen at a good time.

Been there... Sorry. It's a great machine just not as robust as I would like to be. Had a JW Fisher Pulse machine, built like a tank but it
didn;t have a bit of discrimination so you dug everything.

I have the same problem!

Sharky , I still have done nothing more with my unit , just have had no time ; been hitting some wrecks so no time for detecting. I am a little hesitant to send it back for repair since hearing some bad feedback on Minelabs repairing of some units but probably have no choice. When I get any info that could help you i'll pass it along to you and if you could do the same that would be great. Good luck and i'll keep you posted.

i was looking into purchasing a excalliber or minelabs unit
now im glad i didnt im hearing lots of people are having problems and getting it repaired under warante isnt easy
im now looking at fisher
any reviews on what there using would be helpful
garrett also thanks

Make sure you are reading CURRENT reviews of minelabs service. They have over-hauled thier entire service center and people have been reporting very good thing about thier recent experiences.

As for the excals, of people who hunt every day, they would rather buy 2 of them to keep hunting while one is in for repairs. They are considered to be that far above the others.

if there that delicate then i think they need to make them better nobody i know could affor that kind of service and to own one costs enough
i will deff keep searching reviews im sure theres better out there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom