Mel Fisher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone know if they still hire divers. Recently discharged from Army and divorcing, just want to get out into the world and do something for awhile that I love.

You might have a shot if you have commerical diving experience, can captian a boat, run a dredge or ROV, fix diesel engines, compressors, or sonar mapping equipment. Or you can plunk down a few grand to dive with them and try to impress them with your skills and knowledge. I've met and talked to Sean Fisher. Mel's grandson and one of the people who runs the show now. It's not easy to get on with them. The crew has been together for a long time and sound very tight. It'd be easier to take what you've done in the service and get a job in that area. Or do like my son is doing and re up. Don't know how long you've been in but I'm hoping my son puts in his 25. He'll retire at less than 45 with a full pension and never have to work again if he chooses not to. Or he'll take his USAF Intelligence experience and training and go to work for someone at a min of six figures. Or consult for more than that.

I understand what ur saying. Already out, can't re up. Ans the whole point is not to just get a job. I just want to do something I love for awhile. I have to make money but I really don't care if its not that much. Been going through a lot of crap lately AMD just need to get away for awhile. If not them anyone know anywhere else I could find

You might find diving work if you get an instructor rating or commerical diver cert. That's about the only way I know of. Resorts want people that can teach. DM's are pretty much useless to them. Non pro's might get work as a bar tender or maintenance man. So many new divers think that an OW cert will qualify them to do something related to the field. The reality is that ain't gonna happen because it doesn't qualify them for anything someone will pay for. But good luck and thanks for serving.

Here is my opnion: Those ships started to be salvaged by pirates not long after they wrecked. Then came Mel Fisher who got the mother load...he got lucky and accomplished what 99% of us can only dream of. Others came after them and they to pillaged the ocean floor and made small fortuns.

Then for years very little was heard about the salvage of the 1715 fleet untill now. Do you think its coincidence the Fisher family is pumping their treasure operation and gold and silver are at their all time highs? They know full well that there is limited treasure out there but they are giving people false hope and cashing in on their dreams. Its all a shell-game and the Fishers are the only people that will win. They know as long as people can find a coin here and there it will be enough to keep the investors coming ( at least as long as gold and silver prices are high)

Then comes the emerald parties they have where people pay to sit on a boat while one of the fisher team members sucks sand off the bottom of the ocean. That sand then gets sent up to the boat where investors sift through it looking for emeralds. I have always been suspicious of this and often thought the person on the bottom might be tossing emeralds up the hose every few hours. As long as someone finds something they all believe their investment was worth it......

The Fishers and others claim there is more treasure out there based on the ships manafests and what has been recovered so far. But if others before them recovered treasure this would account for the treasure they still think is out there.......As for the Stern Castle loaded with silver....it simply dosent exist. Todays technology would have found treasure of that size within months.

Blacksabellamy, your opinion is completely incorrect. Here are the FACTS. The Atocha and Margarita shipwrecks sank off of Key West in 1622. Neither is part of the 1715 fleet where Mel started hunting treasure in the early 1960's. Mel Fisher's Treasures sold the rights to all leases on the water's of the 1715 fleet to a company called Queen's Jewels LLC about 3 years ago. You really would not hear much about the 1715 Fleet from us as the sites are no longer ours. We do still work the wreck-sites of the Atocha and Santa Margarita all year long. We will do so until we locate the remaining 130,000 silver coins and roughly 400 silver bars that are on the manifest and yet to be located by us or the Spaniards who worked the Margarita site back in the 1600's.

We do not have "Emerald Parties". There is however a part of the Atocha wreck site that we call emerald city. It is where we have located all of the rough emeralds that we have found on the Atocha, hence the name emerald city. I have myself been that diver you speak of and have pumped the emeralds up. Mel Fisher's will allow investors to go to emerald city and sift topside for emeralds. They will also allow them to dive and watch our divers do the work as it is interesting. They don't let them work the heavy equipment for liability reasons but many have observed the process and could tell you all about it.

The prices of Gold and Silver have very little to do with the prices of our artifacts. In fact, the cost of a silver coin at melt value is $33/oz. Our coins range from $700 to $2800 for a coin without any major rarity on it so as you can see, the change of the price of the metal has little to do with the cost of our artifacts.

You obviously know little about today's technology either. Today's metal detectors can read a non-ferris metal from about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. The sand on the Atocha trail is a minimum of 5 feet deep and goes as deep as 20 feet. Although Mel Fisher's is actually about to start testing on a long range metal detector there is not one in the world yet. There are magnetometers that can see ferris metals, Iron or anything with a magnetic field, from a much farther range, but they do not see gold or silver.

Mel Fisher's is also looking for other wrecks out there today. Mostly in much deeper water. If you go to Mel Fisher's Treasures - Historic Shipwreck Recovery you can see some of the technology they are using today, including the new HAUV they are using to locate the deep water wrecks.

Hey Nate..I cannot pay anyone $$ yet and I am NOT a "Fisher" opperation (love what they Do/Did!), but we have some very interesting stuff happening in Tonga...we are setting up BLUE BASE on a tropical island July 1st for 10 weeks to work some wrecks....one is 1616 untouched. You need to see www.bluetreasure.me for all the details...if you get yourself to the island and have a PADI OW ticket with Dan insurance, we will feed you, you do NOT pay the $400 a week the others are...but you can unwind on a great island for 10 weeks and work as part of the team. I always appreciate what the US Military do..thanks for serving...Good luck!!

Dondon, that is incredibly generous of you and thank your for supporting our ex-military

Sean,
On occasion I venture on to this board SCUBA Board. Read a few posts, some times for humor with all the people with little or no experience but with all the answers and on occasion with great awe and admiration of the UW progress.
Today I found it interesting especially about your late father, Mel and mother Delo, Whom I hope is doing well in these our later years.
Your posting recalled those halcyon days of yesteryear...
It also brought back long dormant memories of 4 Hoosier born LA Co Underwater Instructors all with diverse dreams for the future, I became a doctor, one became a world famous UW Photographer, and two who are no longer with us a Hollywood actor and a commercial diver and the late
young Hoosier named Mel from Goshen Indiana who always had a dream of finding treasure. He followed that dream to became the most successful treasure hunter in modern times
I recall when Earl Sugarman and your father hoisted a weekly underwater TV show, years before Sea Hunt...My memory is not as sharp as years ago but I recall it was from a Hotel in Redondo Beach. Perhaps the Chase hotel? It has been years since I have heard from or about Earl.
And I recall when your father was zapped by a sting ray ala Steve Irvin (only 50 years before) and was saved by the fast intervention of my neighbor, and fellow Long Beach Neptune, Doctor Nelson (Mattie) Matheson (who was a transplant from New Mexico)
On my den shelf rests a book of matches from Mel's Aqua Shop. I never smoked and don't know why I saved it all these years, probably approaching 60 years since I picked it up. It is a memento from long ago your mother (?) Delo will remember it.....
Out side cover reads as follows: MEL'S AQUA SHOP**** Skin diver's paradise***If its Underwater Equipment, I've got it! *** 1911 South Catalina Ave.*** Redondo Beach, Calif.*** the other side of the flap is a Joke from SDM*****
Inside the match book reads as follows; DON'T DIVE *** Until you have learned the proper used of the DivAir, Northhill or Aqua Lung with only one nights instruction*** given by****LA County Certified SCUBA instructors**** Cost of instruction $5.00***BREATHING UNIT and other equipment furnished by MEL'S AQUA SHOP***AT NO EXTA COST****CLASS INCLUDES***Underwater color movies ***Lecture on*** The theory of diving ****Pool instruction*** Underwater test*** Make reservations' in*** Advanced ****MEL'S AQUA SHOP
Last time I had contact and ever so briefly with your father was at the LA Co 40th reunion, almost 20 years ago, he was not doing well but still demanded that the cigarette habit be satisfied.
I watched the movie about the Catalina dive trip...Lots of Memories. The boat was the Veleron, owned and operated by Orange county resident Jack Kirk of then "Goat Hill," long since changed to "Coasta Mesa." The boat was constructed and formerly owed by the movie star of the 30s,40s & 50s, James Cagney.
The Veleron was sold and ended it's days as a floating home in Hong Kong harbor.
The following event caused Jack to sell the Veleron and never ever own another dive boat
I was witness to a SCUBA diver being struck by a boat was in November 1959. We had gone to Santa Barbara Island on a private boat for lobster diving. After a day of diving we anchored in a cove, along with a number of other boats including Goat Hill (Costa Mesa) resident Jack Kirk's large dive boat the "Veleron."
Several of the divers on the Veleron decided to go for a night dive even through the were at anchor in a recognized anchoring location and other boats would probably arriving later to anchor.
All was well until the cry was heard loud and clear "Look out!" followed by "Oh My God!" and a loud scream "Help!" We were close enough to see Bobbie Frazier strip down and jump off the Veleron as Jack and the passengers begin scrambling to give assistance. From our vantage point as the closest boat we saw a very bloody and lifeless body being lifted on the deck.
I had known the deck hand Bobbie for a number of years so I shouted to Bobbie "How bad is he?" Bobbie replied "Bad, very bad, we need to air lift him to the hospital " and requested that we move as close as possible and shine our boat lights on the deck of the Veleron as a guide in the USCG Helicopter in locating the boat. Almost immediately we were joined by the other boats who had pulled anchor to assist in lighting the area.
About 45 minutes later the helicopter arrived dropped a basket to the deck of the Veleron. The victim was secured in the basket the helicopter began winding in the cable lifting the severally injured diver into the night air. Much to the horror of the passengers and crew , and the boats surrounding the Veleron, some where between 60 & 100 feet in the air the cable broke and the basket and victim crashed on the deck of the Veleron and into the water.
A few moments later Bobbie shouted a "Thank you" to the surrounding boats and asked that move away.... The diver was dead and they were heading for San Pedro. Thus ended a very traumatic hour and a half at San Clemente Island.
Early the next morning we and most of the pleasure boats who had been at anchor also headed for home.
The Los Angeles Times reported the accident as follows:
"DIFFICULT RESCUE – 23 November 1959 Los Angeles Times (California)
“Skin Diver, Hit by Boat, Falls From Copter, Dies”
Harold B. Gavenman of Canoga Park California was skin diving on Saturday 21 November 1959 off Santa Barbara Island. He was one of several diving from a barge (the Veleron) in an island cove. He surfaced in front of an oncoming lobster boat and “was sucked into the propeller.” The lobster boat operator jumped in and pulled him onboard, radioed for help, and took him by boat to the barge. An Air Force helicopter made 30 attempts to secure a line to him. Once they were successful, when he was raised about 100 feet in the liter basket, the cable broke and he was dropped onto the barge and rolled off the side. Those on the barge were able to recover him, then took him by a fast power boat cruiser to Santa Catalina Island, he was then life flighted from to Newport Beach and pronounced dead on arrival at Hoag Memorial Hospital".
Epilogue-- about a year later the widow who was not on the boat brought suit against Jack Kirk and his crew of the Veleron, the lobster boat that struck the victim, the US CG , the cable manufacture and just about every one who was in any way associated with the accident-but not one diver stepped forward to state diving in a known anchorage at night is an acceptable diving practice ( especially with the one candle power generally home made diving lights of that pioneer era)
....The memories ...we were so privileged to be of an event that was experienced by only a few and will never ever be experience again on this earth Those were The days of our dives...
Dr. Samuel Miller, 111
LA Co UW Instructor, #11, NAUI instructor #27, PADI #241 and the rest of the alphabet etc, etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom