UNDERWATER Cultural Vandalism in Tonga!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dondon462

Contributor
Reaction score
Hobart Australia or China or Fiji or on dive Boat
# of dives
CulturalVandalism in Tonga? Who cares!
Anincident of underwater cultural Vandalism occurred in Ha’ apai on the 13th November 2012, thatshould make Tongans and all divers very angry. But who really cares?

CulturalHeritage and National Treasures define a nation clearer than words. This livinghistory directly connects us all to our ancestors. Nations around the worldunderstand this and proudly display their heritage to tourists.Much of Tonga’s past maritime history has been lost. Many old sailing ships, “killed”and plundered by Tongan warriors for Iron and cannon, hundreds of years ago,remain hidden beneath the ocean. Spanish wrecks are also believed to be in Tonga.

In2009, an anchor believed to belong to William Mariner’s ship, the “Port AuPrince” was discovered in Ha’ apai. This discovery was widely reported aroundthe world, as the ‘Port Au Prince” is a famous treasure ship. The local Divecompany ‘Fins and Flukes” who made the discovery, attempted to have the areadeclared a heritage site, but no one cared? So they turned it into a successfultourist attraction for divers.

InAugust last year, the discovery of the wreck site of the “Port Au Prince” inHa’apai made headlines all around the world. It was exciting news. This wreckand the stories surrounding it, changed the course of Tongan history forever.The wreck site is of national significance and is woven into the very making ofthe nation and should be considered a “National Treasure” and subsequently aHeritage site. This wreck deserves a full archeological survey, investigationand accurate documentation, with every item recovered, going through a detailedconservation processes, to ensure the artifacts are preserved for posterity andachieve appropriate values if they are to be sold.

Ultimately,a site management plan should be developed, which may allow it then to beutilized as a world class heritage dive site, attracting divers from around theworld.

At11am on Tuesday the 13th November 2012, unannounced to the people ofHa’ apai, a local ferry positioned itself above the anchor of the Port auPrince. With the support of a foreign dive team, the anchor was brutally rippedfrom the bottom and dragged up the stern of the ferry, using its mooring winch.No assessment of impacts, caused by the removal seem to have been undertaken.No attempt was made to survey and document the site before removal. No attemptwas made to handle this priceless icon gently, with the care and the respect itdeserves, mitigating further damage. No conservation of the anchor was carriedout at the surface to stop the immediate attack on it, by the effects ofexposure to air? Is this archeological vandalism of a National Treasure atit’s worst! But who really cares?(info@finsnflukes.comhave started a petition to recover the anchor)

As you read this, the site ofthe “Port Au Prince’ is being “SALVAGED”, with no site surveys, no mapping , Nophotographic recording, No archeological investigation, No professional conservationof artifacts recovered. “old Things” are simply being brought to the surface!!

For the past three years, I have been working towardsa plan which may bring proper process to this unfortunate situation. If youwant to know more, you can follow progress on www.bluetreasure.me

That should be criminal. Any ideas who the "foreign dive team" were? Or which bar the anchor will now sit in?

Well it was all reported to Govt. at the time, but then it got real tricky because they appear to be working with a guy who has a "permit"....the last I heard was that the police became involved for awhile then it bacame a political hot potato..Now there is news that a new Govt. department may have been approved that will come into effect 1st July to control all "heritage itmes" in the kingdom..that should then kill the opportunities for anyone with a "salvage permit" to touch Heritage items...lets hope so!! ..apparently someone in Europe may have offered HUGE...6 figure$$$$ for the anchor...the interesting thing was however...and we pushed this line to Govt. and public wich eventually may have got back to the "buyer" that there was absolutely NO "provenance" or proof of identity with the anchor as no surveys were done, so it was jut an OLD anchor...not worth the money...???

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

I forgot to mention the worst part, they are now onto the wreck site wich is many miles from the anchor position and are doing unbelievable damage to the archeological integrity of it...unfortunately we will not be back in the area till ??? late June??..at this stage we believe they are lacking gear and competant people but not much we can do till July the 1st...very frustrating...

I highly doubt someone would pay big bucks for an anchor of a ship that barley the maritime community has ever heard of. The anchor is the same design as thousands that still lie about the ocean floor and those recovered. I dont see the point in spending all of this money for archeological work on a wreck site that has barley anything on it according to the books I've read. The ocean is a cruel place for artifacts after a certain period of time especially in shallow tropical water. I do agree that private ownership of artifacts may not be the correct course of action, but because of one mistake by a group, all wrecks may be off limits to divers or tourists. Protect the wreck by bringing the artifacts to a museum and explain the ships story there, not try and ban diving on her. There is not much left, but sometimes written words last longer than the physical site.

I guess we'll never know if the cargo was 'barley' or some other grain like wheat or oats. :cool2:Without proper documentation of the site prior to the removal of artifacts a lot of information is lost. I can understand your frustration, Dondon.

The interesting story about the Port Au Prince is that the story is really yet to be told, even in relation to what is actually on the wreck site and was it really the Port Au Prince that may have previously been plundered in the 70's or another wreck...and did the anchor in question ever come from the Port Au Prince!!..there is more than one wreck in that area... .there is some interesting stuff going on at the moment...and hopefully in the not too distant future we will be able to answer some questions here...

Sorry for the poor grammar, my auto correct is not that smart. When we find wrecks (mind you they are over 100 to 200 years old and they look like they sank a month ago due to the fresh water), we video tape the entire site maybe have a professional artist make a drawing and move on. We rarely if ever take anything off of the site. After awhile you begin to realize that most of them are the same thing. One is bigger than another, or one is made out of wood and the other steel or iron. I'm just saying that getting worked up about taking a rusty piece of corroding metal that there is millions of copies and well documented history is not something to get worked up about. An anchor is used to keep a ship in a certain position and is usually located inn the bow area with a spare in the stern. Wow that requires a expensive archeloegical survey that will conclude the same thing? If the guy and dive team had a so called permit, what is the problem? I don't want to pick a fight, I'm just curious in the logic and thinking.

Hey I never "fight" lol...and always great to get opinions...Thanks...not sure if you know the Port Au Prince story...bit it is HUGE...very significant for Pacific Culture not just Tonga...If this anchor really did come from the it is is worth a significant amount.od $$$...but the ship drifted away after the anchor rope was cut...anyway last year the anouncement of the "possible find" of the actual wrteck made BIG news all over the world in "certain" circles...it was knows to have pleanty of treasure...but importantly it is the significance of the find that excited many...the current salvage permits allow someone to snatch and grab!..take anything of value and as long as the Govt. get 30% no one cares!...unbelievabley bd for the integrity of the site....and in a simplistic sense even an 'Old thing " brought up from the bottom may be worth say $10,000 to a collector...but if you can prove and certify the provinence of that item...as coming from the "actual" wreck of the Port Au Prince..thn it would be worth ..??? GUESSing...maybe $100,000!!!...but sadly it then bcomes lost in relation the the maritime historicle significance...and the site gets trashed !!..so everyone looses...even the govt. as $30,000 is better than $3000....the only way to prove the wreck actually is rather than "probably" is the Port Au prince...is to do the archeological survey and investigation...all a huge effort...

Salvage permits were meant for modern day salvage not historic wrecks.....thanks for the interest!!!...

Even though my studies focus around the lakes, I am aware of the privateers existence.nthe story about her being burned to the waterline and Tongan natives killing and eating the crewman. The thing is nobody knows what really happened. I would think the natives would have stripped her clean. They probably ran across an old merchant ship and claimed it's the Prince. I know I wouldn't pay big bucks for an anchor no matter where it came from or how rare, unless if it's from Titanic or something. It also sounds like the Tongan govt cannot pay for or exert control over the site which is why they gave permits.

Yes..very true about the Govt. but the good news is that it is all changing...so with some new legislation and structural plans currently underway, I think that game may be over from July the 1st this year..then anything "HERITAGE" will be controlled by a section of Govt. that cares!!....lets hope so anyway...that will create a breathing space...sort of...so that appropriate surveys can take place...the only difference or problem may be that the plunder still goes on...BUT then at last it will be morally and LEGALLY illegal, so the police could then get involved...right now the so called "salvage permits" in the wrong hands are the issue...and a big problem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom