Wall Mounting Megalodon Teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to know if anyone has any tips for mounting Meg teeth and other prehistoric type shark's teeth.

I made display stands for my bigger teeth, but I wanted to put some of the smaller ones in a wall display case that I made. It has a background map of the area I found them on a foam board. That will be attached to a plywood backing inside the wall frame display case.

I'm a little stumped on the best way to mount the teeth to the background. I've thought of using thin wire or fishing line to wrap the teeth and tie behind the backing. I'd prefer not to use anything that will permanently alter the teeth like glue or drilling into them.

Any suggestions? Photos would be great.

If I sway off this thread please PM me with whay you come up with. I like the wire or fishing line idea. I have got to do something with these teeth. You may want to go the Anyone want to Show Your Fossils posting. I am not on the level as Lee a few others, but if looking at their pictures you can see that they know what they are doing. Best of luck.

Rand: I use velcro with tape back. You can find rolls and sizes at hardware and craft stores. It works well and easly clean up if you decide to replace the piece. If you use felt backing you only need the hook sided velcro. Hope this helps.

I am not on the level as Lee a few others

Thank you Tony for making me feel good about me. Never considered myself to be "on a level", but it made me smile

Here is an idea Rand. I use these little stands for shark tooth display purposes. You could attach them to a wall board. Or, you could modify them to suit yourself BEFORE attaching them to the wall board. Just a thought. Bill at www.megateeth.com <- Click here, would be happy to send you some. They are on his website. Joe, I suspect you know Bill, but if not, he was the person at the Cypress show to your extreme right, up against the wall. He was the one with the Mako necklaces on display.

ps: They come in different sizes and usually the tooth can be displayed root down or root up. It just depends on your preference.

st022.jpg

Back
Top Bottom