who likes old bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KnCDIVE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ive recently taken an affinity for old glass. Ive picked up a few bottles over the years diving but recently got into finding more. I do alot of bottom cleaning of boats in marinas, this is where most of my finds come from. my most recent one was a milk bottle, an OLD milk bottle. Found alot of cool others... old pepsi, coca cola, 7 up, have a beer bottle straight from havana cuba. anyone know much about the history behind certain glass?

You might wanna check antique dealers (e.g., ceramics, vases, bottles, etc.).
Pics would be nice to start off with questions.

around here, Coca-Cola has had a very long history. Bottles from various generations often turn up on the river bottom. Another place I used to dive was actually a dump site before it was flooded for timbering purposes (a long time ago). The stuff that occasionally appears has been incredible...

Yeah, its fun..... antique dealers are the best source (though there are books too).

Heres some pictures. I have to take one of the milk bottle I found.

DSC01097.jpg

If its bottles you be seeking then set your compus to the old anchorages in yer port. Find the old charts or just try and figure out where would you anchor an old sailing ship. It's best if there is some current in the area that will keep the silt down.

Kick-a$$ bottles there LC joe.

A few of my bottles.

20130425_171737.jpg20130425_171841.jpg
ZDD

Another place you could look for is old ferry landings. Most of these went out of use when bridge building technology started to advance so the bottles there should be older.

About 15 years ago I excavated an illegal dump along the Anclote River. I found almost a dozen old Coke bottles stamped Tarpon Springs 1906.

While I was walking the excavator out of the dig area I was checking the track path and saw a clump of dirt that was too round and about the size of a softball. Not liking to run over anything that might damage the machine, I got of to clear it out of the way. When I wiped the dirt away, it turned out to be a glass apple with leaves around the top. I believe it was probably some kind of apple cider vinegar bottle and the stem would have been the stopper. No, unfortunately, the stem wasn't with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom