Gold/Silver Submerged Mine Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KellyAsh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone have any experience doing this kind of treasure hunting in the US?

Here is a spot but I don't know if they allow you to bring a pick or metal detector. Bonne Terre Mine

They don't even let you bring a light. The price of lead bearing ore isn't worth diving for in any case. You would be better off scavenging dive weights, batteries and wheel weights in quarries.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They don't even let you bring a light. The price of lead bearing ore isn't worth diving for in any case. You would be better off scavenging dive weights, batteries and wheel weights in quarries.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
No doubt, just another tourist dive.

I think most of the mines still have legal claims. I imagine to do a dive (legally) you'd need permission. liability would probably scare away most owners from granting permission.

Are there people actually considering diving man made dirt caves?
Can't be enough metals to be worth the risk.
Keeping in mind that it was closed as a dry site.
And there was zero risk of bringing the ceiling down by simply exhaling.

Actually not true. Some of those old wildcat mines could be brought down by the slightest disturbance as the people digging them used whatever they could find to prop em up. Sometimes removing supports from one "stable" section to shore up a new one. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few old prospectors didn't meet their end via animals, thieves, or Indians. They are still in some of those holes with a few tons of rock and dirt on top of them.

Bearing sea gold is pretty entertaining but I have to say even if I was qualified to do it I would not work for any of those fly by night bozos. You can fill a notebook with foolish mistakes and poor practices every show.

I have a friend that is kind of into doing insanely dangerous things and I know she found an old mine to dive in. I agree with Jim Lapenta, some, rather most of those mines are too unstable to dive. remember most of those mines were made with dynamite and explosions to fracture the rock to get at the ore bearing rock. ceilings and walls needed to be supported with braces. Water will soften the wood that they used to shore up the ceiling, silt and dust from before the flood will make silt outs much more like than in a natural cave, and lets not forget that gear and equipment abandoned in the mine can be random entanglement hazards.

Unless you are cave certified, well insured and not very bright I would say stay the heck out of them, besides most miners have to harvest several tons of soil at a time to get single ounce of gold. Bering Sea Gold is a fun program and they show what not to do.....

Back
Top Bottom