Found old dive knife! Need help restoring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srgyork

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all!

I was diving in Fiji a while ago and found what looks like an old dive knife. The only problem is that it has coral all over it. Only a tiny fraction of the knife is showing, and the coral was weak. I managed to get some of it off and it had the word "xoni" Anyone know of this brand or name? Also does anyone know of a way to get the rest of the coral off (with maybe home ingredients or stuff i can buy at a store) with out hurting the rest of the knife?

Thanks~

Soak it in vinegar - that will dissolve the coral and shouldn't harm the knife.

Apple cider vinegar...Common item in grocery stores....We use it to remove coral from fossils ( shark's teeth ) w/o hurting the enamel on the teeth....Should work fine on your knife....Try a test area for a few hours to be sure........I use it full strength overnite and it dissolves the coral or breaks it down so it easily breaks away.........

Got any pics?

Does it look anything like this?

il_570xN.425437052_ev3d.jpg

It might actually say "INOX" which is the French word for steel.

Hi srgyork -

INOX[FONT=arial, sans-serif] is French "Acier inoxydable" which means "Stainless Steel" "NON OXIDIZABLE[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]so as kelemvor says I suggest that you are reading it upside down - Phil[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom