Fossil hunting lights/helmet lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dwhite213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was at the LDS the other day talking about going fossil hunting with them one day. They were advising a light with a price tag around 580. I won't be purchasing that, so I was going to get some ideas on what the "pros" are using. Post up what you got and maybe a pic of a helmet setup.

So everybody must be busy diving. That or this is a topic that has been over discussed and everybody is saying "not this again." I did a search and didn't find much. Just one helmet light setup.

Check out cave diving canister lights over 1000 lumens.

My primary canister was over $1000 new, my backup where $100 and $200. Yes real underwater lights are expensive as hell.

The cheap ones either don't last or don't put out a significant amount of light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't get to go fossil hunting enough to justify spending more than 2-300 bucks. Thanks for the link. I will have to check that out when taxes come in.

Dwhite, I use a helmet I made pair of 1100 lumin lights total cost $125.would send picture but my computer won't log in and don't have picture on I pad. Will post as soon as I can figure out how.

Go to Divegearexpress.com...They have helmets w/the different attachments.....As far as lights, go to Leisurepro.com, they have a large selection........Keep in mind when you're fossil hunting you'll be close to the bottom, so you don't need 800-1000 lumen lights, it's a waste........I use the UK SL4 eLED L1, 400 lumen lights and they work fine.....They can be attached to a helmet or w/a light 'sock' to the back of your hand........Burn time of 10Hrs on standard 'C' batteries.......I use the same light for cave diving.........W/a helmet, light sock and two lights, it's way less than the $580.00 the LDS is trying to sell you.......

Light monkey makes a cave diving helmet and you can get light mounts for it. 75 bucks and the mounts are $7 each. Other sites sell that helmet for less. Then get a light or two like this: 1k Shorty Dive Light - Dive Right in Scuba and put it in the mounts. $300 for 2000 lumens of hands free light. You could probably find a cheaper light if you really wanted. Cheap and bright chinese LED lights are all over the internet. I've got a 1000 lumen cheapie that I paid $10 for on ebay. Of course you want to make sure you get (or make) a mount that will accommodate your selected light. I made such a mount out of a piece of PVC that I cut in half and then heated slightly so that it form fits some EDGE morph light heads.

That helmet, Chinese ebay lights, you could probably be in business for about $100. Replace and grease the o-rings before your first dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom