Shark Tooth Findings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl_

Registered
Reaction score
Shark Teeth. A tool used by a marine fish to capture its prey. Sharks shed their teeth, but where? Makos, Whites, Megaladons, or Bull Sharks... are just some of the fascinating shark teeth you might find. As on my previous threads, on my bucket list is to discover this astonishing fossil. Please tell me your secret places as of where to find these teeth, and i will walk along every beach or go to the depths to find it.

I just got back from a SW Florida trip and had a little luck! Found a nice meg, another fragment and some other fosilized bones. Manatee I think. I went out of Venice with Florida West. Great operation.

I've also done the Meg Ledges a couple of years ago with Cape Fear Divers (no longer in operation I understand) and found a tooth and several bones on that trip as well. Friend of mine found a whale vertabrae nearly as large as a coffee can!

Venice is close to shore in relatively shallow water with short viz. It was about 4' the day I was there. Meg Ledges are longer on viz, but 30-35 miles off shore. In about 100'-110'. Totally different experiences looking for the same thing. Can't go wrong either way IMHO!

(watch is for scale. I didn't find it in the gulf :wink:)
FWtrip.jpg

Well Scubagirl, like Sayuncle I was also in Venice last week, heck he may of seen us out there in our zodiacs. To find a Meg tooth was also on my bucket list ever since I first saw them in an issue of Skin Diver Mag back in the 70s so 3 years ago I headed to Venice with some buddies and my zodiac I found 5 Meg teeth on my first dive. So this year I repeated this adventure with more of my diving group buddies and we did well intil the wind came up early in the week and the viz dropped to near zero so we changed our game plan and headed to Ginnie Springs instead.
We camped at Oscar Scherer state park while in Venice which was very nice and a fantasic deal. Welcome to Florida State Parks
If you dont bring your oun boat I would recommend Scuba West as well but there are others.
Here is a pic of the Meg. tooth I found this trip and it is also the nicest tooth I have found yet but it is not my largest.
20140424_072902.jpg
You can find the small teeth by fanning the sand to create a small depression and then just looking at the ridge for anything that looks like a triangle.
Good luck,
ZDD

wow Zodiac, That is a beautiful tooth... Nice find

ZodiacDiverDave, I have never found anything that beautiful but I've found dozens of small teeth and pieces of teeth. We used to use a small coffee can to scoop up gravel at the bottom of springs in the Orlando area. Then we came to the surface and sifted through the gravel on the walkway. Biggest most complete one that I found was probably about 1 1/2".

DFB

A friend of mine owns a farm in Arcadia. He dug a pond a couple of years ago, and found several nice meg teeth and a mastodon tusk (among other, lesser finds). I've got a few dozen I've found off of Venice beach. i'll never forget, after one dive of not finding anything extrodinary, as I was wading up on the beach, I noticed a small gathering of excited people. A little girl had found a 6" very nice tooth. She kicked it while she was playing in the surf.

ZodiacDiverDave, I have never found anything that beautiful but I've found dozens of small teeth and pieces of teeth. We used to use a small coffee can to scoop up gravel at the bottom of springs in the Orlando area. Then we came to the surface and sifted through the gravel on the walkway. Biggest most complete one that I found was probably about 1 1/2".

DFB

Would that spring happen to be rock springs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom