Metal detectors ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok.... What do you use and what's worth the investment.... Need to get one.... Willing to go about $1500 , But willing to spend less :wink:

Jim...

I've had the Fisher 1280x, Impulse and currently have the CZ21, all three were trouble free sturdy detectors. The impulse was a pulse detector with good depth and no discrimination, you could find a bobby pin at 10 inches, it's no longer manufactured. I like the CZ 21, it has discrimination. I'm mostly detecting the treasure coast of FL and I don't even use the discriminate. It is nice if there is a lot of trash. Kellyco has good prices

I've been abusing a fisher (forgot the model) for 8 or so years now. They are rugged and reliable. Had to send it in for repairs once (leaked), and it was fixed quickly and without hassle. Would definitely recommend the brand.

Before you decide what your going to spend decide what you want it to do and where you will use it .
I have 2 one is an Aquapusle with an 8" coil (new costs more then $1500) which is great on flattish open areas because the long shaft allows a bigger sweep ,
the second is a Vibra Tektor 730 (under $200)I think . this is a smaller unit with a 3" coil (also makes a great Pinpointer ) it is very useful among rocks and crevices where the larger one is too cumbersome.
both detectors are Pulse Induction which does not discriminate . so I will be looking at the Minelab Excalibur II in the future.
if there is a lot of trash , bottle tops alu cans etc where your looking I would avoid the PI units they hit on everything , and cant discriminate.
Happy hunting

You have several good options, but it will help if we know what targets you are looking for and what environ you will be hunting in.

You have several good options, but it will help if we know what targets you are looking for and what environ you will be hunting in.

Fresh Water.... Cold... mud bottom with some trees and rock outcrops... under 100' depth.... gold and silver coins and jewelry...

Jim...

My fisher is a pulse, not sure if they make the other kind. Pulse isn't what you want

Fresh Water.... Cold... mud bottom with some trees and rock outcrops... under 100' depth.... gold and silver coins and jewelry...

Jim...

Freshwater searching for coins and jewelry. Ok, stay FAR away from pulse induction (PI) detectors. You will never believe how many nails, brads, pins, bolts and fishhooks are in the water until you try to use a PI detector. Freshwater makes it worse because iron doesn't rust away nearly as fast as it does in salt.

First off, 2 detectors to stay away from at the Minelab CTX and Garrett AT-Pro / AT-Gold. These are listed as "waterproof" but they are really only highly resistant. You will be lucky if you get one to 10 feet without a leak.

So, what are you left with for options...

The Minelab excalibur. Probably the highest selling and most expensive option. It's a great detector but it's main strength is dealing with conductive salts while discing out iron.

Tesoro Tigershark (NOT SANDSHARK). Another good VLF, depth rated to 200ft

Fisher 1280X, and Fisher CZ-21

I have an excalibur but I'm not 100% happy. When they work they are AWESOME, but there seems to be a lot of QC issues and repair times are slow. I have seen a lot of happy people using CZ-21s. Since you aren't dealing with salt, the excal loses it's one advantage. I have no experience with the tesoros but they do come with lifetime warranty.

My current go-to for freshwater diving is my White's SurfMaster2. It's out of production but if you can find a good used one, I highly recommend it. It has a neutral buoyancy coil, a diver-shaft is available, simple o-ring seal that works, and great disc ability focused on the low-end. These are often sold by unknowing people as an "amphibian 2" because that is what is on the coil.

Back
Top Bottom