Where can I learn more about the "Sinan" - the 14th century wreck found off Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently had the opportunity to visit South Korea. I was on a business trip but I did make time to visit some of the cultural sites in and around Seoul. I wish that I had more time to explore this beautiful land, but I very much enjoyed a trip to the National Museum of Korea and I was amazed when I wandered into galleries filled with artifacts from the Sinan (or Shinan) wreck.

Maybe this is old news to a lot of people but I had never heard of the discovery and excavation of this fascinating wreck. It really was a treasure trove and archeological archive. It was a trade vessel that went down in circa 1323 loaded with beautiful pottery, tons of coins and other goods. It was discovered by accident in the 1970s when a local fisherman snagged an ancient celadon vase in his net.

I have been trying to find out more about the wreck and the excavation and the artifacts but I don't find much on the Internet (at least not in English). Below is the translation of an article written by the director of the South Korean Maritime Museum. (I wish I could have visited that institution, but I wasn't able to travel outside of Seoul because of time limitations.)

It sounds like this story includes a lot of drama, mystery, and romance (a shipwreck, accidental discovery, difficult and dangerous excavation, looting, the capture of relic thieves, and rumors of a mysterious curse) what a great story!

Does anyone know of any English-language articles, books, or documentaries about the Sinan wreck; or can you direct me to a site with more information? Thanks!

KOREA FOCUS
Shipwrecks: Time Capsules from the Depths of the Ocean
Seong Nack-jun
Director
National Research Institute of Maritime Cultural Heritage
The nation’s first shipwreck excavation began with the discovery of the trading ship dubbed “Sinan” (also known as “Shinan&#8221:wink:, which sank in the sea off the southwest coast of Korea while carrying pottery from China’s Song and Yuan dynasties. Thirty-five years ago in 1976, a fisherman’s report and the arrest of a relic thief led to the discovery of underwater treasures from the wooden hull of a cargo vessel sunken on the ocean floor, which amazed the world.

In the midst of strong tides and the pitch-dark depths of the sea, this highly difficult underwater excavation would not have been possible if not for the help of the Navy. The brave naval deep sea divers, deserving reputation as descendants of Admiral Yi Sun-sin, risked their lives to lead the underwater venture to a memorable success, heralding the beginning of maritime archaeology in Korea. The outcomes of the nine-year exploration resulted in the founding of two great museums – the Gwangju National Museum and the Underwater Relics Museum. The latter developed into the National Research Institute of Maritime Cultural Heritage.

From the Sinan, about 20,000 pieces of high quality pottery ware were recovered in their original shipping containers. About 28 tons of Chinese coins and about 1,000 beams of rosewood from Sri Lanka lined the base of the ship. The coins at the bottom of the ship and the storage of heavy rosewood were used to maintain the ship’s balance.

Behind the magnificent discovery of the Sinan shipwreck on the ocean floor, however, there was also an evil shadow. Throughout the excavation process, antique robbers seeking to hit the jackpot engaged in secret maneuvers to rob relics. The news that investigators had arrested robbers of the Sinan shipwreck relics made headlines causing a stir throughout society. Given that some 2,000 artifacts were seized, one can guess as to how active these robbers were.

The relic robbers who were arrested all experienced misfortunes, including financial ruin, schizophrenia, suicide, family breakup, and that fed rumors of the shipwreck being cursed. Moreover, misfortunes even hit the investigators who had distinguished themselves in arresting the relic thieves. Eventually investigators shied away from the case.

In the meantime, some of the stolen artifacts might have been smuggled abroad and there may be items that are still hidden in wardrobe closets or in basements. As the statute of limitations has expired, some objects have been brought to light; a considerable number of top-rated relics from the Sinan are at a famous private university museum…
[Dong-a Ilbo, June 4, 2011]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom