Divers uncover largest trove of gold coins ever discovered in Israel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

descent

Contributor
Reaction score
803.jpg

It was by pure chance that members of a diving club in the Roman-era port [of Caesarea] had come across the coins, which the authority said weighed nine kilograms (almost 20 pounds) but described as “priceless”.

“At first they thought they had spotted a toy coin from a game and it was only after they understood the coin was the real thing that they collected several coins and quickly returned to the shore in order to inform the director of the dive club about their find,” it said.

article in The Guardian

"the coins were meant to pay the salaries of the [11th century] Fatimid military garrison which was stationed in Caesarea"

article in the Jerusalem Post

Cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More ancient treasures found in Israel, this time by cave explorers!

A hedge during the Wars of the Diadochi? Unbelievably cool! Thank you!

A hedge during the Wars of the Diadochi? Unbelievably cool! Thank you!

Your welcome and very cool! You know when when I was reading about this new find I suddenly remembered seeing someone on Antiques Roadshow that brought in rings/jewelry that had been buried by a refugee relative during World War II. The individual survived and went back and dug them up after the war.

This latest find in Israel made me think that "things really haven't changed much even though a lot of time has passed!"

I think that the Israeli Antiquities office should start offering a "finders fee" to honest citizens that turn in accidently discovered ancient treasures; they might recover a lot more of them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom