Court ruling ends treasure hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cargo manifest clearly stated that there was nothing of value on the ship. plus what would make him think the Soviets actually paid for the aid we gave them? If it is outside US territorial waters I would tell the judge to shove it.

Sounds like ther is more at play that just the cargo, real or not.

Another case of who bought who. Sorry..I've lost all respect for the joke we call a Judicial system at this point. Theres a REASON it's been called 'The law of the sea" for so long.

Screw em. I wish you the best of luck and riches if you manage to succeed. You did the work. You earned it.

Bubs

I thought the main issues here weren't so much salvage rights and law of the sea as scammed investors, misrepresentation, and possible fraud?

Yes, that is the underlying issue. The issue I have is that the investors are stupid enough to continue work on the salvage, then that should be their prerogative, no the courts.

It sounds like the judge did his best to shut the door on the vessel and not set dangerous precedent. Had he allowed the investors a claim to the goods if found, he would have opened a legal pandoras box for all hunters to proceed in a similar manor be shut down by the court, then force the owners recover the booty at the owners expense and then have to share the cargo with investors (equal shares of the total) of whom will be many if anything is found and the word gets out. I didn't see anything in the article about the owners of the wreck. person or ins company demanding their rights to the vessel and contents so I assume it is totally a fraud case (investors vs. hunter ship) in which he shut the doors to the investors as to not muddy the waters in any later legal matters concerning the vessel. I see the hunter owner sold the boat and laid off the crew so there is nothing to pay the investors back with. I winder what a 50 year old car fender goes for on ebay???

Yes, that is the underlying issue. The issue I have is that the investors are stupid enough to continue work on the salvage, then that should be their prerogative, no the courts.
Yah, I don't know enough about the long, sordid history of this particular saga, and some people are just too stupid / greedy for their own good. Still, I'm not quite ready to thank the salvage organizer for weeding out the gene pool / culling the herd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom