Interested in Megalodon Tooth Diving: Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Title pretty much sums it up! I'm Advanced OW certified, but I figure Nitrox might help and I'm not certified for that yet.

Most get them from North Carolina off Willmington. Nitrox is easy and will only take a few days.

The NC dives on fossil ledge are in the 100-105 ft range. Area is out by Frying Pan Shoals so it is a 35-40 mile boat ride from Wrightsville Beach but the boats that run there like Aquatic Safaris and sometimes Tortuga are fairly fast boats. There are some other boats that go out there. You will be somewhat active so don't use too rich a mix. Key is to relax and still move slowly otherwise you will get excited and suck air. Most of the NC divers use larger tanks. Probably one of the most popular are HP100s. Remember to keep checking your NDL and air supply. It is easy to get slightly narced and focused on the teeth and forget to look. There have been a number of OOAs there over the year.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 06:26 AM ----------

Note that you will always find fossils and teeth. You may or may not find a giant tooth. I have been there a couple times and have several in the 3 inch class and a couple of damaged 4 inchers. Coolest find was a pigmy whale tooth. Lots of ribs and other stuff lying around. You may want to have a digging implement to get down a few inches. SMB and reel are required. Its not a wash out but viz can drop if a bunch are digging. You do not have to go far though. Stuff all around.

Give me a call be glad to share w you options Venice. Nc

Jamie

Definitely give Jamie a call. Super nice guy, super easy fossil diving in Venice Fl. About a quarter of the depth than in NC, so your gas will LAST, and no need for Nitrox unless you really want it.

Is the diving better in fl or nc as far as finding bigger and better teeth along with other types of species

Another vote for Venice, FL. The aristakat is a nice ride. You can find meg teeth from shore in that area I've heard. I've been out that way 3 times, and 0 meg teeth for me. I did find a few smaller fossilized teeth. Mermaid0sea got a meg there recently.

Cooper river in SC is also a great place to find meg teeth. I would try to get to the NC ledges. Great teeth coming from there. It's especially good just after a big storm.

Give me a call be glad to share w you options Venice.

Jamie

I vote Venice, Florida as well, I can say from experience that the fossils are everywhere... you can find plenty of small ones standing on the beach and even an occasional large one if you are lucky. I went there often as a kid.

I have been considering taking a trip to Venice now that I am older and have my scuba certification. I have wanted to do it for years, just finally making it a priority.

I have a question for anyone who knows, or has an opinion. When is the best time of year to take a trip out to Venice? Right after storm season when everything is mixed up a bit, or during the Winter when the visibility 'may' be clearer? Perhaps they both have merits; any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom