Gates vs Light & Motion for HC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

random868

New
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing the new Sony HC1 and was in a quandry as to which housing to get with it. I'm partial to the Gates housings (they're planning a housing for the HC1 and will have a prototype at DEMA) but L&M has nice housings as well. I currently have an Amphibico but I would like to change.

Does anyone have both housings (Gates and L&M) or tried both and have any comments? I know the general pros and cons (mechanical vs electric) but I would like some personal information as well.

Thanks!

random868:
I'm considering purchasing the new Sony HC1 and was in a quandry as to which housing to get with it. I'm partial to the Gates housings (they're planning a housing for the HC1 and will have a prototype at DEMA) but L&M has nice housings as well. I currently have an Amphibico but I would like to change.

Does anyone have both housings (Gates and L&M) or tried both and have any comments? I know the general pros and cons (mechanical vs electric) but I would like some personal information as well.

Thanks!

I've seen the L&M housing on their site, it lookes really promising (heck of a whole lot smaller then the housings for the FX1/Z1 and the HD1/HD10U). Haven't seen a prototype for the Gates housing? Anyone have a link to a press release or pics?

Sorry - no help on the comparison - but I have been a happy Gates customer for the last 5 years.

ScubaBob

Well i have to tell you both are excellent excellent products. I am loyal to botoh companies. I sell and use both products on a daily basis. There are many things to look at when choosing between the two.

Most important: both companies have excellent service andd support. both products are extremely well made. L&M products are a little easier to use as all controls are in one place, on the hand grips. The Gates housings being mechanical, mean the controls are placed whereever the controls are on the camera, thus the controls are often placed in many positions, not always accessible without moving your hands off of the hand grips.

One major point, water and electronics do not mixed. So, getting water on the electronics of an L&M housing causes grief. Also, there is always the chance that the electronics fail, althought unlikely, its possible.

One thing i do like about the gates...my Z1 housing flooded in the Bahamas last month, I had 2 cameras. I was able to wipe out the housing, use the new camera, and continue my shoot for the week. If it were electronic, then i would either be out of luck, or, I would change my electronics out if I had an extra set of boards (this is highly recommended whenever you travel).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me an email mike@h2ophotopros.com and I will be happy to answer them.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck. remember, either way, both are excellent products and you will be satisfied with either one.

The pricing from L&M for the housing only is $2,999.

The pricing from L&M for the housing only is $2,999.

Keep in mind that the manual white balance won't be accessable with ANY of the electronic controls for a camera with the touch screen. I have talked to a couple other housing companies and they are working on it but nothing at this time. Most are putting a manual control in for that feature.
IMHO, electronic controls are the way to go.

One downfall of the manual controls is all the penetrations and the fact that they are sealed by a o-ring that can fail. With manual the odds of flooding are greater. Also your shots will be steadier with electric since you won't be moving around for the controls.

crpntr133:
Keep in mind that the manual white balance won't be accessable with ANY of the electronic controls for a camera with the touch screen. I have talked to a couple other housing companies and they are working on it but nothing at this time. Most are putting a manual control in for that feature.
IMHO, electronic controls are the way to go.

One downfall of the manual controls is all the penetrations and the fact that they are sealed by a o-ring that can fail. With manual the odds of flooding are greater. Also your shots will be steadier with electric since you won't be moving around for the controls.

Hi,

I recieved confirmation about 1 week ago that Amphibico will be able to access the manual white balance control through LANC. So this feature WILL be accessible in their housing for the HDR-HC1.

Thanks!

Tristan

According to Light & motion, access to the manual white balance is possible with their housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom